Chapter 7 - Training Day #1

Cato's POV

Training day. The day that I've been waiting for since the moment I volunteered to be in the Games. Today was the day that I could actually prove my potential, though I don't know who I'm proving it to. Maybe my dad. I don't believe he's even watching. I don't think anyone is able to watch training since I've never seen them before.

My dad was, is, a tough man. From the moment I turned 8 years old, he had begun preparing me for the Games because he knew that he wanted me in them and he knew that if he beat the crap out of me, I would be able to win.

**Flashback**

8 years ago

"Let's go. It's time for your training." Dad said, pulling me by the arm. I was busy working on my maths when he pulled me up by the arm and started dragging me towards the door to go outside.

"But dad, I don't want to. It's too hard. I can't do it anymore." I pleaded.

I felt a harsh stinging on my cheek, and I instantly knew that he had struck me. Again.

"Don't you dare talk to me in that way, you understand? I said to go outside, NOW!" He boomed down at me.

I had no choice but to go or else he would just hit me again. I stood up and walked outside into the yard.

"Honey please. Leave him one day to rest." I turned to see my mother standing in the door of the small house I shared with my brother. I give her a small smile and she returns it, but I can see behind the smile with the fear in her eyes.

"Listen," he points a finger at her, "do not tell me what to do. He needs to train, and you know it. Now go back inside, before I push you in." He growls at her.

My mother starts to cry and mouths 'I'm sorry' to me before she slowly turns and walks back inside, shutting the door behind her slowly.

This is how our family has always been. My mom and my brother being pushed and beaten around by my dad. It really changed a kid, especially at my age. My teachers all say that I'm more 'mature' than the other kids. I don't know what that means, but I hope it's something good. Or maybe it's not.

I hate seeing mum cry, but it happens so much that I think I expect it.

I stand in front of my dad, him standing tall above me like one of the big buildings that I see on tv sometimes.

"Put your hands up. Like I taught you." Dad says. He pulls my hands up and I position them in the way that he taught me.

I stand ground, waiting for the blow that was going to come sooner or later.

**End of Flashback**

It sucks to think of my father in that way, but that's just who he is. I spent countless nights listening to my mother cry, and everyday I had a new bruise, but I guess it paid off. I mean I'm here, right? And I'm obviously the best out of everyone else.

I snap out of my thoughts as I hear someone talking. I can't think about those things. It'll throw me off and I need to stay focused. It's hard enough trying to focus with Rose being here.

"Alright, are you guys ready?" my planner, Jeffrey, asked.

"Of course we're ready." Clove says while rolling her eyes. "Why would we not be ready?"

"I know, I know. Just remember, do not show them your full potential until individual assessment. This is just so that you and the other Careers can get to know one another." Jeff says.