Chapter 25 - Breathe

"You love me?" I imagine hearing Catos voice, but when the crowd gasps and sets into an uproar, I know that what I heard was real.

No. No way.

I turn around slowly, and he's standing there, dressed in a suit.

Is this real?

It can't be. There's no way that this is true. I watched him die.

"Is this real? Are you here with me?" I ask quietly.

Cato grins and takes the few steps needed to bring us closer together. His hand reaches towards me and as his fingers touch my skin, I feel that zap. I feel the electricity and the way his touch ignites my body into a flame.

It's him. He's really here.

I want to cry.

"Cato."

Cato smiles and takes my hand, pulling me to my feet. "Hey, Kitten."

I scowl immediately. "Don't call me that," I grumble, bunching up my dress in my hands so that I could jump over the couch. My feet hit the ground and I'm finally standing in front of him.

I'm standing in front of Cato.. this cannot be real.

My eyes travel upward so that I'm looking up at his face. He's laughing, rubbing his palm against the back of his neck.

I see Caesar slowly walking to the back of the stage, giving us our 'alone time'.

Cato leans down, placing his lips to my ear. "I told you I would keep my promise, Kitten," he whispers, wrapping his arms around me.

I thought he would never be able to hold me again, and here he is, holding me like a piece of glass.

My tears start falling again and I crush him to me, tightening my arms so much that I didn't think I could let him go.

The crowd started cheering, reminding me that we were still on the stage with millions of people watching and fawning over us.

"Rose, stop crying," I hear him say. He starts rubbing my back like Cinna did earlier.. I imagined it was Cato before, but this time it is real.

"I can't believe you're here," I cried with my face stuffed into his chest. Cato places his chin on the top of my head and his chest vibrates with laughter.

"I am."

I look up, and as we make eye contact, I bury my face into his chest again to hide my tears. "I missed you so much."

"I know, I know," he said. "But you need to stop crying. You know I hate it when you cry," he mumbled. I could tell he was embarrassed with being open with me while we were on national television, but I just couldn't resist.. we had been apart for two days and.. He's just here.

Breathe, Prim. You need to breathe or you'll faint. I pull my face and arms away from him and fail to wipe the tears from my cheeks. Cato helps to wipe my tears away while smiling sweetly at me.

Dear heavens, his smile.. I didn't think I'd see him again.

"I'm sorry. I just don't know what to say," I tell him, laughing nervously. "I thought we'd run out of time. We didn't have any time."

Cato pulls me into another tight hug and I revel in his smell.. in his smile.. in him.

And to think that I cried for two full days over him when he was probably in the room next to me. Who knew about this? Haymitch, Effie, Cinna? And why didn't anyone tell me? I could have saved myself from all the misery. And why didn't Cato tell me about his plan?