Chapter 26 - Home

When I woke up the next day, I knew Cato and I slept for a really long time. It was still pretty dark outside, yet I felt completely rested. Cato was still asleep, with his head resting on my chest, his large arms wrapped around my waist and one leg placed in-between both of mine. I woke with my chin resting on top of his head, one hand placed on his cheek and the other splayed out on his back. His weight was pressed down on me, making me hot.

I didn't wake him up, though, because I didn't want him to be grumpy. He needed the sleep more than I did, so I let him be.

I was almost scared when I woke up to find him under me. I thought everything that happened yesterday was a dream, but it obviously wasn't.

Today, or technically tomorrow morning, was going to be a good day because I would be going home. After the Victor's interview, the Victor would take the long train ride home where the whole District would be waiting at the train station. I was so excited to go home, to see my Mother, Katniss, Gale, Maggie, and Buttercup.

The only complication was obviously Cato. I didn't know if he wanted to go with me since I knew he couldn't wait to get home to be with his mother and little brother. I was thinking that maybe he would try to ask me to go home with him, but I didn't think I could do that. I would be abandoning my family, and I don't think I'm important enough for him to abandon his.

What were we going to do? I wanted to go home, but I couldn't stand to be away from him for more than one second. Getting up to get the soup from yesterday night turned out to be a horrible decision on my part, so what would happen if we were apart to go home? Who would be there to make sure that his nightmares don't take control?

Things were so complicated.. I guess we would just figure things out once he woke up.

"Rubbing my back is keeping me awake, Kitten."

I jumped at the sound of Cato's morning (technically evening) voice. I realized that I had been rubbing his back in the midst of my thoughts. My hand immediately stopped moving and Cato sighed and closed his eyes, placing his head back on my chest.

"Go back to sleep, Kitten," Cato mumbled, tightening his arms around me. He started rubbing along my hips in an attempt to lull me to sleep.

"I can't," I whined.

"Well, if you can't sleep, then I can't sleep. And I really want to keep sleeping," he said. The stubble on his face tickled my neck and I laughed.

"Can you wake up and talk to me?" I plead, pouting my lips.

Cato groans and ducks his head. "Don't make that face," he grumbled.

He peeks his head out and looks at my pout again, rolling his eyes and groaning. "But I wanna talk to you," I whine, pouting even more.

Cato sighs and sits up, turning his body around to face me. I smile and cross my legs, placing my hands in my lap and he grabs for my feet, playing around with my toes.

"Fine, let's talk," he mimics in a girly tone.

"Thank you," I smile.

"So, what are we supposed to be talking about?" he asks, wiggling my toes around with his fingers.

I shrug my shoulders. "I dunno. Um, how was your day?"

Cato tries to look angry, but he smiles and then laughs at me. "Really? How was my day?"

I try to stifle my laughter and nod. "Yes, how was your day?"

"Well," he sighs, "I slept.. and I slept.. and slept some more. It's been a very productive day." Cato's finger tickle my feet and I squirm.