Chapter 18 - Day Two

Prim's POV:

After Rue and I got a total of four hours of sleep, we decided that it would be best to start our Hunger Games day: checking snares, getting food, and staying away from other tributes.

Rue surprised me. She, just like me, killed someone yesterday. One of the guys chased her into the woods during the Bloodbath, so she climbed a tree and threw a knife down to scare him off. That didn't work, though, and the knife ended up lodging itself into the guy's head. It was obvious that Rue was taking her kill the same way I was, but she was much stronger and was able to keep her emotions inside.

After we drank the last few sips of water and ate a very small portion of our food, Rue and I situated our weapons before walking back to check our snares. I was hoping that we caught something, although I wasn't too sure on how to skin them. I stayed away from that section in training only because I didn't want to either puke or cry.

Once we reached the snare setups, we found that one of them actually caught something: a rabbit.

"Rue, it actually worked!" I semi-yelled. I knew that I was probably more excited than I should have been, but I was very hungry and I didn't want to eat what I had unless I absolutely had to.

"Yeah, I know. I didn't think that it would happen," Rue said, smiling brightly. It was like we won some sort of lottery.

"Well, let's get it out."

Rue bends down to detach the rabbit while I stood guard. My back was to her as she worked the snare around the rabbit's foot. We had survived this long so I was hoping that we could make it last longer.

"I hope you know how to clean that thing. The most I can help with is cooking, and even that I'm only okay at," I said over my shoulder to Rue. I heard her laugh.

"Yup, I can. Even though it's the worst station in training, I made sure to get at least one lesson," Rue answers back.

"I don't get it," I say. "How did you not cry?" I joked even though I was kind of being serious. Hurting a poor, helpless animal was not something I would like to witness. Although, the circumstances are different now. I don't have to watch it being prepped, but I couldn't wait to eat it.

"Well, I just tried to-" Rue stopped talking abruptly.

"Rue? What's going-" I turn around to face her. She was standing next to me, her knife poised to something in front of her. My eyes traveled to what she was pointing at. It was the boy from District 1, who was poising his blade, ready to attack.

I couldn't see them, but I knew the rest of the Career pack was out there somewhere, watching him, watching us all. And, I knew Cato was somewhere out there too. I poised my arrow at this guy, ready to let it go if he made any moves.

"You guys won't win," he sneered, eyeing us down. "You can't beat me. I'm a Career. So why don't you put down those weapons? If you listen, I'll try to kill you quickly."

My chest rose and fell heavily. "No. It's us two against you. What makes you think that you can beat us?" I ask him. I knew the Career pack had to be nearby, but they weren't here now, and if I worked quick enough, I could kill him before one of them got to me.

"Because in the time that it takes for to attack me, I will have one knife lodged into your neck and another knife swinging to hit the other. Just give it up," One spits back at me, watching both of us as if he was trying to anticipate our moves. I was not going to make a move unless he did, and hopefully Rue would not either.

"Why don't you make us?" Rue asks slyly, and it makes the guy furious. I could see his nostrils flaring with anger as Rue and I laughed. "Don't underestimate us because we're not six feet tall."