Chapter 48 - Trust

As I turned to walk away, I realized once again that I had no clue how to make it back to the train. I knew how to start the trip, walking down Cato's street, but after that, it was all a blur.

            I tried remembering the things that I saw while on my way there, but honestly, I was so busy talking to the girls that guided me there that I didn't pay much attention to the sights around me. Some things looked familiar, from the walk today and from the first time I ever came here.

            I wandered around aimlessly, looking for someone or maybe a business I could walk into to get directions, but no one was in sight. After the Victor's speech, the District would usually have a small celebration in the Mayor's office to honor another year's completion with a successful Hunger Games. During that time, it was also customary to celebrate the lives of those lost, in this case, Clove's, and to honor the families that lost anyone. Of course I would know, I've been to fifteen of them, from the year I was born all the way until now. No one from my District has won the Games since Haymitch. I guess that means I am the only Victor from District 12.

            Anyway, that is probably where everyone is right now, getting drunk and telling stories with each other. I wish I could be a part of such a celebration. It's a time where friends and family get together and try to forget about all of the misfortune that had come across them during the year. Of course, there is some sadness because two children have been murdered, but we try to celebrate the person rather than mourn them. Mourning is left for the funerals.

            After about fifteen minutes of roaming around, I declare myself lost. It really should not be this hard to find the train. This District isn't very big. I contemplate knocking on someone's door, but thought against it. Apparently, I am the most desired person in the District, so who knows what crazy person I could encounter? The person may try to kidnap me.

            I give up the search and sit down on a bench I come across. Maybe if I'm gone for long enough, Effie will send someone to come searching for me.

            Yes, that'll have to do. At least I can rest my feet a little. These shoes are killing me.

            I sigh in relief as I take a seat on the bench, bending over to remove the God-awful shoes. I am so grateful for sandals at times like these.  I drop the shoes onto the ground and massage my feet, rubbing my fingers into the knots that formed from trying hard not to fall over. I body is still somewhat sore, especially with all the standing and walking, so it sings in relief from being able to rest for once. The sun burns into my face, causing me to squint underneath the rays.

            There is a tap on my shoulder from behind. I turn around slowly, trying to identify the person. Who is touching me and why?

            I literally almost fall backwards in surprise. It's Molly. What the hell does she want?

            "Can I help you?" I say, trying not to appear as annoyed as I actually was.

            Molly laughs, crossing her arms over her chest. "Like you could help me?" She rolls her eyes dramatically.

            "Well then what do you want?" I ask, completely bored of the situation already. Doesn't she have a life, or friends?

            Molly leans over so that her face is level with mine. I can smell the bubblegum on her mouth. "You need to keep your dirty little hands off of what's mine."

            I raise my eyebrows, moving to stand up so she doesn't seem to have any domination over me. Molly was at least four inches taller than me, but she didn't intimidate me one bit. I've seen feet scarier than her. "What's yours? Last I checked, he's laying in bed with me at night, not you." I point a perfectly polished finger at her, internally thanking my prep team for making me look good. This tiffany blue color really suits me.