Chapter 45 - One

——

Can we all take a moment to applaud our beautiful Willow Shields on her amazing performances on DWTS? I'm devastated that she got eliminated, even though she was the best performer at only 14!

(PS. Willow Shields is 14 in real life NOT 16! Willow Shields, born June 1, 2000.)

We love you Willow, keep on shining.

-CATO-

As the train stopped, my blood was absolutely boiling. How dare anyone think they can do anything to hurt my fucking girlfriend? Some of them were shot for acting so violently, but the Peacekeepers would never hurt anyone from the Career districts.

So, who were those people?

They looked poor, run-down and dirty. In One, just like in my district and Four, everyone lived sufficiently... not as much as the Capitol, but much better than what I saw in Twelve. That means that those people couldn't have belonged in One. They must be exiles.

I really don't know. What I do know is that my killer instincts are settling in, and all I need is my damn machete.

Rose is oddly calm. She doesn't look startled, or even a bit afraid.

Effie is going insane, though, walking back and forth, talking to herself about how she was going to give the District leader a piece of her mind for putting Rose through something like that. Rose watches her, blue eyes wide with a blank look.

"Baby?"

Her head snaps to look at me and she frowns. "What?" she asks.

I take a step toward her and she takes a step back. "You okay?"

Rose nods her head slowly, like she was listening, but her mind wasn't there.

I took another step forward and she took another step back. Now she's not letting me touch her... did I do something wrong?

Shit.. I didn't say or do anything. Then what's wrong?

"Did I do something wrong, Kitten?" I ask. My heart is beating quickly... fuck I'm nervous. Why does she have this effect on me?

She looks up at me and shakes her head. Her eyes go to the door and she crosses her arms around herself protectively.

"Then what's wrong?" She has to tell me what's wrong. If she doesn't, I'm going to lose my mind.

I move forward and before she has the chance, I capture her, holding onto her arm.

"Nothing, Cato," Rose mumbles. "Just let go."

"No, tell me."

Rose rolls her eyes and keeps her mouth shut, clearly annoyed. She wants to be left alone?

Rose snatches her arm from my grip and turns. "Just leave me alone," she snaps at me, walking away.

What the fuck?

Effie approaches her. "Come, Primrose. Let's get this over with and get out of this unappreciative District. They should be on their knees begging you for your love."

I almost laugh. Damn, Rose wasn't lying with all those stories she's told me about Effie. The woman is fucking nuts.

Rose nods silently and follows Effie out of the train with her prep team. I walk after them, keeping my distance, but not too far that I wouldn't be able to knock a bitch out if they tried something. Rose seemed pissed, and if I upset her any more, she might turn around and punch me in the jaw like her sister did.