Chapter 60 - Beginning

There was only five minutes until the Games begin. So much of my time has been devoted to training Elliot and Jasmine to the best of my ability, and now it's time to prove themselves to the world. It feels like they're my children, and they're leaving me to start their own lives.

I've already said my goodbyes and advised them on a few more tips that I could give. I said bye to Jasmine first and Elliot last. I had a strange sense of deja vu as I turned and walked away from him. It reminded me of Haymitch, when he left me for the Games.

I miss him terribly, but I can sense his presence whenever I need the comfort of a father. I know that he's watching me, vowing to protect me from any harm. I wish he were here. I wish Katniss was here.  I know she's watching over me, too. They'd both be so proud of me, of how much I've changed and evolved. They'd silently watch as my life went by, motivating me every step of the way.

As I blow my last kiss at Elliot and turn to walk away, I hold in the urge to cry. I need to be strong for my tributes. They're going to depend on me to supply them with whatever they need in their last attempts at survival. I have the confidence that they can show everyone what District 12 tributes are made of. One of them has the potential to win. I've been working the sponsor market ever since the reaping. It hasn't been hard for me at all. Everyone wants to get on my good side, to share some secrets with me, Panem's sweetheart. They'll do whatever it takes for me to remember them.

I shuffle my way back to my observing room, where Finnick, Montana, Delphi, Sunny and a few sponsors are all sitting, getting ready for the Games to start. They all smiled when I walked into the glass room. There were televisions on every wall so that we could see everything that happens. The cameras will only focus on Elliot and Jasmine.

"How are you feeling, Sugar?" Finnick asks when I plop down next to him. He takes no time in reaching for my belly, rubbing soothing circles all around. "You excited?"

I smile at the cute nickname he gave me. "For the Games or for the baby?"

Montana gives me a bottle of water and a pat on the back with a broad smile. She adores the way Finnick treats me. He's always concerned with my wellbeing, and really tries his best to take care of me. He's like a brother.

"Both." Finnick's face is now pressed into my belly, muffling his voice.

I laugh and push back his hair. "I'm not excited for either. I'm nervous as hell."

There's three minutes now. I ask someone to get me the telephone on the other side of the room and Sunny hands it to me. I thank her and dial Cato's mobile device. I want to wish him good luck. I know he's been stressed, so maybe some words of encouragement will help.

After about ten rings, a voice tells me he's not available, so I hang up and pat my stomach in an attempt to calm the small aches. The baby is awake now and is kicking furiously and it's not comfortable at all.

"Well, whenever you're ready, I want to show you all of the outfits I bought for Delphi jr," Delphi says with a smile. "This baby is going to love her aunt!"

"No, if anyone is her aunt, it's me," Sunny retorts.

"It's quite obvious that I'm the aunt." Montana crosses her arms.

I shake my head and chuckle. "All three of you can be aunts. And I told you not to buy the baby anything. We've got it all covered."

"But there were so many princess clothes when we went into the nursery store, so we just had to splurge. We're so excited for her to join the world." Delphi grins widely, and I can already see the thousands of fashion shows bound to happen. Cato will not be happy with that.