Chapter 35 - Guilty

CATO:

The walk back home with Charlie was quiet. I was afraid to say anything to him because I knew he was just going to bring up the situation with Molly.

What the actual fuck did I do? I know I've been horrible to girls.. I admit that. But never, never have I ever done anything with another while I was screwing around with one. Cheating was a hard limit for me; it was something that my Mother taught me never to do, even if I was the worst person in the world. But, I just did it. And this one, Rose...

How could I let something like this happen? How could I let Molly trick me into kissing her? I knew she was up to something; she sent the damned note last night telling me that she was going to do something. I should have known the moment she walked up to me while I was sitting on the bench that she was hatching her plan. The best way to attack someone is when they're alone and vulnerable. I was alone, and I sure as hell was vulnerable, especially with worrying about Rose every goddamn millisecond of the day.

Maybe I was just going insane. It wasn't my fault, right? I mean, I didn't plan for it to happen, and it's safe to say that I wasn't in my right mind when I was with Molly. She was tweaking my brain, saying and doing things to fog my mind.

No, it is my fault. She kissed me the first time and I joined her the second time. And with all of those people watching. Charlie and the entire school had been filing out of the building when he called out for me. Who knows who could have seen?

How am I going to tell Rose? I can't stand to see her cry. But then again, I don't want to keep this secret. It was eating me alive already.. Imagine when I actually step in front of Rose when I get home. No, no I can't tell Rose.. And Charlie can't tell her either. I need to make sure he keeps this a secret, from Mum and anyone else that he could possibly tell. If he can tell Rose about me farting at the dinner table when I was twelve, he can definitely tell her this and not think that he did anything wrong.

Charlie was walking beside me, aimlessly swinging a branch against the weeds growing from the ground. "Hey Charl?"

"Huh?" he asked, still paying more attention to the weeds.

I sighed and kicked at pebbles. How can I approach this? "Do you know what happened back there?"

"Yes," he nodded, frowning at me, "you kissed Moppy and now you have two girlfriends."

Shit, so he does know what happened.

"No, Charlie, that's not what happened."

"Then what was it?" he asked, staring up at me. "Cuz you kissed Rosey the same way as you did Moppy and she's your girlfriend," he answered quite smartly.

God dammit, why did I have to teach him so much? Couldn't I just have made him a little less smarter?

I rubbed my forehead. I'm just going to have to lie to him. Even though I hate lying to him, he wouldn't even know and he'll probably forget as soon as he picks up a toy. "Well Charlie, that was just an experiment that Molly had to do in school. She had to test whether or not I was yucky for a school project, and that is the only way to test it."

Charlie's eyes widened and he frowned. "So she thinks you're yucky, too?"

"Yes," I nod.

"I knew it!" Charlie almost yelled. "I told everyone that you were yucky and no one believed me! Now everyone will know!"

"Yup, you were right buddy."

Charlie smiled wide. "I have to tell Rosey! Then she'll believe me, too!"