Chapter 43 - Rooftop

This chapter is dedicated to LucyDiamond1 for giving me the amazing idea for the date in this chapter.

-----

Cato took me where we began, to the roof.

What I expected was for us to maybe go out to a dinner or even see a film together, but no. Cato took me to the elevator and brought me all the way up to the top of our buiding. The setup was absolutely magnificient. Little candles were set around the plaid blanket, with a basket placed directly in the middle. There were comfy looking pillows scattered on the blanket, placed around to make sure that I would be as comfortable as possible.

"Wow.." I mumbled.

"Do you like it?" Cato asked.

I nod, completely awe struck. I was at a loss for words... I didn't know what to say.

Cato smiled. "Well, do you wanna sit down?"

I nod again, not letting any words describe what I was feeling.

Cato takes my hand and gently tugs me toward the mini picnic, letting me sit down on the soft, feather filled pillows.

"Did you do all of this yourself?" I ask as he takes a seat next to me.

He nods and reaches next to him to pull out a bottle of some drink. "It took a hell of a long time, too," he answers with a small shake of his head. "But of course, it's worth it for you."

I blushed as he popped the bottle open. It looked like wine. "Is that---?"

"No," Cato answered quickly. "It's sparkling juice. I wanted to get the whole effect. I didn't think you would want to be getting drunk anytime soon."

I laughed at him. "Very creative."

"You look great," Cato says with a distant smile. He turns to get two wine glasses for our 'wine', letting the bubbly liquid fill our cups.

"You said that already."

"I meant it."

I looked down at the ground, hiding my smile from him. "Thank you."

He hands me my glass of sparkling water and my hand shakes at the slight touch of our fingers. I remove my hand quickly as my mind wanders to my lustful thoughts.

Cato raises his glass. "To new beginnings," he mumbled, staring at me as though he could see right through my soul.

I nod and take a sip of the drink, letting the sweet, yet tangy taste burn my tongue lightly as it went down. It was incredibly sweet.

It goes silent as I sip on my drink and watch the skyline as the lights change colors every so often. I feel Cato's eyes burning a hole through the side of my head, but I don't turn to look at him. I'm incredibly shy around him right now, even though I really shouldn't be.

"How are you?" Cato speaks up. I turn and face him, registering the worry in his eyes. It still puzzles me that to this day, he still worries so much about me.

"I'm fine," I lie through my teeth.

"Okay," Cato nods with a frown, "now tell me how you really are." He saw right through my lie, but why wouldn't he? Cato knows more about me than I know about myself, so a lie of that nature would never pass through him.

I shake my head, wanting the pained memories to go away. We're supposed to be on a date, enjoying each other's company, making corny jokes, and kissing... this isn't supposed to be a sad occasion. Yes, we're sad, but we're supposed to be trying to move past it.