Chapter 62 - Willow

Last chapter everyone.
-------
I could already see the connection that Willow and Cato were making with one another. Of course, she was connected to me as well, but it seems like there's more with the two of them. When he holds her, her eyes never wander away from his face. When he kisses her cheek or forehead, I love the way her eyes so slowly close and embrace the feel. When he gently pats her back, you can see just how calm she is. And when he speaks, her eyes light up and she looks at him, recognizing his voice from all those nights he talked me, and her, to sleep.

The nurses stayed around for a couple of hours after she was born to teach me the basics, though I already knew how to do almost everything except feed her. Cato didn't want to hand her over to anyone except for me, even when Cinna and everyone else came into the room to meet her. Effie was still watching Jasmine in the Games, making sure she's safe. She's survived thus far, thank heavens.

Cato sits idly by and watches as Willow and I try to figure each other out. She's trying to grasp who I am and how to get her food while I try not to freak out about the fact that she was actually here, attaching herself to my chest. I'm watching her eat and she would occasionally look up at me and chew on my nipple, making me wince. I couldn't get over her green eyes and how they look back at me with that same curious look Cato has sometimes. It's freaky.

Once Willow has had enough milk, I burp her and hold her to my chest as her eyes droop closed slowly. I rock her back and forth, patting her back through her blanket and she falls asleep almost instantly. I guess the thrills of life have already tired her out.

After she's been asleep for about an hour, the doctors clear me to go home. Since I didn't take an epidural, they didn't need to monitor me or Willow overnight. I was grateful. I wanted to sleep in my own bed with my new baby by my side.

Cato is anxious as I get ready to leave the hospital. Willow is sleeping in the little baby bed while he helps me dress in my own clothes.

Once his hands start shaking, I start to get worried. "Cato, what's wrong?"

Cato frowns, and then looks down at his hands. He looks back at me and shrugs. "I have a daughter," he states simply. It's not like he has to explain. I know what having a daughter means to any man. They look at all women differently from that point.

"It's going to be fine," I reassure him as he slips my sweater on me. "This is only the first step."

He nods. "How are you feeling?" It's the first time he's asked me that since Willow was born. He helps me stand.

"I'm sore, and tired, and I think Willow can make chewing nipples an Olympic sport." I look over at her and she's sleeping peacefully. "Even without teeth, it hurts."

Cato laughs. "Well once we get you home, I'll run you a nice warm bath and then we're putting both of you to bed." He pecks my lips softly.

I sigh in relief. "You're the best," I mumble.

Mom walks in with a wheelchair and sits me in it, and then she grabs Willow and places her in my arms. She has to stay at the hospital because she's on call all night, but she promised to visit us all tomorrow.

Cato grabs our baby bag and walks behind my mother, who is wheeling me out of the hospital. There's a car already arranged, ready to take us back to the penthouse. Word hasn't gotten out about the labor, so there's no one here trying to take our pictures.

Surprisingly, the driver quickly jumps out of the car as I'm standing and after Cato situated me and Willow, he jumps into the driver's seat and takes us home. Every couple of seconds, he would glance back at me holding the still sleeping baby in my arms. The ride wasn't that long, but he probably checked on us fifty times.