Chap. 26

"You're skipping down the hallway," Kylie informed me, as I stumbled into her.

"I know," I said, letting out a giddy laugh.

"What has you so happy?"

"I don't know."

She shook her head at me, opening the hallway door for me. "I worry about you Sophie Allen."

I offered my arm out to Kylie.

"What?"

I shook my arm. "Come on."

She laughed, looping her arm through mine, and we skipped out to the parking lot together.

"Where are you headed?" Kylie asked me, as I unlocked my car.

"Well Bryce supposedly went to the doctor today, so I'm going to pick up some smoothies and check on him, and then I should probably get some studying done so-"

"I need to talk to you," Clayton informed me, coming up to me in the parking lot.

"I'm having a conversation," I informed him. "Patiently wait your turn."

Clayton rolled his eyes. "Let me rephrase. I have no interest in talking to you. But it's necessary."

"I'll leave you two to bicker by yourselves," Kylie said, with a laugh. "If you end up studying US History tonight, give me a call so we can study together."

"Sure," I agreed, and she skipped off to her car.

"See? Isn't it fun?" I called out after her.

"It is!" she called back to me over her shoulder.

"Juniors," Clayton muttered.

"As if you weren't one just last year," I retorted.

I hate it when Seniors try to act all high and mighty, like they're better than the rest of the student population.

But I really just hate Clayton Johnson.

"What is so important that it couldn't wait more than two seconds?" I asked Clayton, folding my arms across my chest.

"My English textbook is in Bryce's locker."

"What?"

"Am I not speaking English?"

"Why is your English textbook in Bryce's locker?"

"He took it for me one day after school because I left it in the classroom and then stored it in his locker, but then that asshole never came back to school."

"Well excuse him for getting sick."

"Yeah well he still has my English textbook and I don't know his locker combination."

"And you just suppose that I do?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Well you are his girlfriend, for some reason I still don't understand, so yeah."

"You sure do know how to flatter someone Johnson."

"It's my specialty."

"His combination is 21-6-17, and maybe you should try keeping track of your own textbooks like a big boy."

He just rolled his eyes, turning back towards the school and jogging away from me.

"You're welcome!" I called after him.

I slid into the driver's seat of my car, stopping by Smoothie King on my way to Bryce's house.

Bryce's mom's car wasn't in the driveway when I got there, so I let myself in through the back door.