Chap. 32

"I feed him twice a day," Bryce was informing my dad, as I came downstairs.

"I know, you've told me twice," dad said, with a laugh.

"I'm just worried," Bryce said, kneeling down to give Dawson a good scratch behind the ears.

"We're good pet owners," my mom promised. "I mean, we've never owned one, but we raised a kid."

I rolled my eyes. "Gee, thanks."

Bryce turned around, a smile spreading across his face. "Good morning!"

I planted a kiss on his cheek before petting Dawson. "Is he nervous?"

"I think I'm more nervous," Bryce confessed. "I've never left him with anyone for longer than like a weekend."

Bryce would leave Dawson with us when he went away for baseball tournaments over the weekend, but we were going to be gone for four days.

Bryce had never left Dawson that long, aside from when he was in the hospital. And Regina took care of Dawson then.

"He's going to be fine," dad promised. "Now go on, you don't want to miss your flight."

Bryce knelt down and kissed the top of Dawson's head, promising him he was coming back in just a few days.

Dawson let out a whimper, nervous because Bryce was nervous.

"Come on," I said, practically pulling Bryce out the door.

Dad came out behind us, shutting the door to keep Dawson inside.

I gave him a tight hug, and he kissed the top of my forehead.

"Always be aware of your surroundings," dad warned me, his arms still wrapped tightly around me.

"I will."

"I love you kiddo."

"Love you too daddy."

He released me, and I kissed his cheek before heading out to the car, my mom and Bryce already there.

Our luggage was already loaded into the back of my mom's car, courtesy of my dad.

I took passenger seat and Bryce stretched out across the backseat of my mom's SUV.

"You two be careful now, you hear?" mom asked.

"Yes ma'am," Bryce said, without looking up from his phone.

"You really need a haircut babe," I said, reaching back and mussing up his hair.

He looked up to glare at me before smoothing back down his hair.

"I'm going with Josh later today," Bryce informed me, before glancing back down at his phone. "After we land and get situated."

I couldn't help but wonder what was so intriguing on his phone, until I saw the Candy Crush screen flash.

"You're addicted," I said, laughing as I shook my head.

"It's not an addiction," Bryce declined, his voice flat.

I didn't mean it like that.

"It's just a slight obsession," he added.

"Now Kayla is picking you up at the airport, correct?" my mom confirmed.

I nodded. "Kayla and Regina, supposedly."

"Yeah, my mom will be there too," Bryce said, still without looking up from his phone. "It's a family affair."

"And did you bring your facial mask?" mom asked Bryce.

"Yes, I brought my dignity killer."

My mom chuckled.