Chap. 25

"It's such a nice day out," I said, looking up into the tree where I'm sure Bryce was.

"It is," he agreed, from somewhere up in the tree.

Dawson was racing around the outskirts of the dog park, along with a Yorkie and a Chihuahua.

He was gigantic compared to them, but they didn't seem to mind.

Bryce climbed down from the tree, hopping down onto the picnic table.

He sat down on the table, letting his feet dangle off onto the bench next to me.

"He's quite the goofball," Bryce said, watching as Dawson raced around with the other dogs.

"You love him anyways."

"That I do." He let out a sigh, bracing his arms behind him and looking up to the sky. "It's too nice of a day to begin chemo again. Let's do that tomorrow."

I couldn't help but laugh, smiling at him. "We're one step closer my love."

"That's what I keep telling myself."

Dawson slowed to a slow jog, and then to a walk as the other two dogs continued to run, looking over at Bryce.

"D-dog!" Bryce called out. "You good?"

Dawson came bounding over, his tongue flying out the side of his mouth.

"Hey buddy," Bryce said, hopping off the picnic table. He dropped to his knees, scratching Dawson behind the ears and under the belly. "You tired dude?"

"He's been keeping up with those little dogs," I commented, reaching over and scratching the top of his head.

"Finding some of that long lost energy?" Bryce asked, scratching his belly.

Dawson plopped down on top of Bryce, letting his head loll to the side as Bryce continued to pet him.

"Okay," Bryce said, laughing as he gave Dawson a good shove. "Let's go home."

Dawson hopped back up to his feet, waiting for Bryce's instruction.

"Come on," Bryce said, patting Dawson's side before standing up himself. "Let's go home and take some chemo."

I smiled at Bryce.

"What?" he asked.

"You said some."

"I did?"

I nodded.

He smiled as well, planting a quick kiss on my cheek before taking off running towards my car, racing Dawson.

Some things will never change.

~*~

"I like your hat," I commented, picking it up off of Bryce's head and placing it on my own.

"Me too," he said, taking it off my head and putting it back on his own.

I laughed as he opened the art room door for me, and we walked inside hand-in-hand.

We never arrived to art together, our previous classes on the opposite ends of the school.

But Bryce had checked in late this morning, arriving just prior to this class, his mom letting him oversleep since he started chemo last night.

"I begin PT after class today," Bryce informed me, as we made our way to our seats in the back of the class.

"And then how long until you can play baseball again?"

"I find out at my three-month checkup."

"Where's Clayton?" I asked Kylie, as she twirled a paintbrush around in her hand.