Chap. 51

"Do you like teddy grahams Ms. Allen?" Joey questioned.

I nodded, proceeding to bite the head off of my honey-flavored teddy graham. "Love them."

"Me too."

"Ms. Allen, I need more apple juice!"

I glanced over my shoulder at Steven, who was leaning back in his seat, tossing a teddy graham in the air and aiming to catch it in his mouth. He had two legs of the chair on the floor, two legs dangling in the air.

"Steven!" I called.

His gaze snapped over to me, startled. He toppled backwards, his legs flailing and his teddy grahams falling to the floor.

My hand slapped over my mouth, and I couldn't keep from laughing.

"Ms. Allen, Steven fell!" Joey hissed, his eyes wide.

"I know, I know," I said, through my laughter.

I stood up, sobering up a bit before going over to lend a hand.

Steven was picking himself back up off the floor, the kids around him giggling.

"Why did you do that to me?" Steven demanded, his cheeks red as he brushed himself off.

"Are you okay?" I asked, biting back my laughter.

He nodded, resetting his chair.

"I was going to tell you to get more juice out of the fridge."

"Get it yourself."

"Is that any way to talk to your superior?"

His gaze darkened, and he glanced at the kids around him before muttering under his breath and heading off towards the kitchen.

I will hold my superiority over him for the entire summer.

Ms. Wilcott had made me head counselor, giving Kylie and Steven the assistant positions.

Kylie hadn't been thrilled, but I'd put in more work over the years than she had. And she understood that, even if it put her on the same level as Anderson.

But I didn't order Kylie around like I did Steven. Kylie knew her own way around, she'd been working here almost as long as me.

Steven, on the other hand, was like a lost puppy. Especially without Clayton, who hadn't been able to make it these past few days due to his increased workout schedule.

"Do we want to pop in a movie for a little while?" Kylie asked me, flipping through the schedule. "Or we could do another game, like Night At The Museum?"

"Movie sounds good," I agreed, glancing at the master schedule. "And then we can do a craft. If we watch Despicable Me, we can do a minion craft?"

"The one you should me on Pinterest?" Kylie squealed. "That was so cute."

"Done deal then."

"I'll locate the movie," she said, disappearing from the snack room.

Steven reappeared with another jug of apple juice, receiving a round of cheers from the kids.

A smile spread across his face as he was ambushed by about half the kids, all shoving their cups at him.

"Can I at least get a line?" he asked, through his laughter.

That didn't get him anywhere.

"Nobody gets any juice unless they're in their seat!" I called.

Everyone scrambled back to their seat, trying to climb over each other so they could be first to have a refill on apple juice.