Bonus Chapter - Bryce's POV

Bryce's POV - Meeting Sophie

"Can't you just drop me off at Clayton's?" I asked my mom, as she readied herself to leave for work.

"Not today."

"But why not?"

"Because they're going through some stuff right now. And they don't need you around while they do it."

"Clarissa won't mind," I declined, which caused my mom to cast me a disapproving glance. "Mrs. Johnson won't mind," I corrected. "Come on, I don't just want to hang out by myself around here until baseball."

"You have plenty to keep you busy. I just bought you that new video game, right? The one rated M that you promised me wouldn't give you nightmares?"

"I don't get nightmares over video games mom."

"Well play it and find out!" Kayla's voice called from the back. "Some of us are still trying to sleep."

"Bryce, I have to go," mom said, with an apologetic smile. "Give the Johnson's some space, okay? They need it."

I let out a frustrated sigh, watching as she left.

I slumped over onto the couch, Dawson coming over and shoving his palm into my hand.

"Not now," I muttered, shoving him away.

He let out a whine, shoving his wet nose into my palm again.

I sighed, reaching over and scratching him behind the ears.

I didn't want to spend another day by myself. I hadn't seen Clayton in over a week, back when everything fell apart.

I'd noticed Clayton had been drinking alcohol for a while. And not just a little bit of it either, but so much that it was making him sick. And his parents hadn't noticed.

I tried talking to Clayton about it, but he didn't listen. And I was scared, scared that it was only going to get worse.

So I told Taylor. Clayton still doesn't know that it was me, and the guilt was eating me alive. I expected Taylor to flip out when I told him, but instead he just told me that he'd take care of it. And then thanked me for telling him.

And I hadn't seen Clayton since. He hadn't come to baseball practice and my mom wouldn't take me over there.

Clayton probably didn't want to see me. Taylor promised he wouldn't tell him it was me, but maybe he did anyways.

"What are you doing?" Kayla asked me, coming out into the living room.

"Laying here."

"Mom's right you know," Kayla said, leaning against the door jam. "Clayton needs space."

"No," I argued, sitting upright. "He needs friends. And since I'm his only one, that means he needs me."

"Are you just going to lay around here and mope all day?"

"Why do you care?"

She grabbed her keys off of the kitchen counter. "Because I refuse to watch you do that. Again. Let's go kid, we're going to the Johnson's place."

I've never jumped up off the couch so fast, following Kayla out to her car.

"Why?" I asked, glancing over at Kayla. "You don't even like Clayton."

"But I do like you," she countered. "And if you think that this is what's best, then I'll back you."

I couldn't help but smile as she reached over and mussed up my hair.