Chap. 34

"One please," I said to the lady behind the ticket desk.

I paid her for the ticket to the Central Park Zoo before she handed me my ticket.

I made my way over to the monkey exhibit, taking a seat next to the window and watching the two monkeys inside interact with each other and their environment.

It was so simple for them. They get fed. They have toys. They have each other.

There wasn't much more to life for them.

What do they do when they get into a fight? Throw food? Slap each other a little? Scream maybe?

But they have to make up. Because it's only the two of them in this entire habitat.

And they seem to play together now. So they can't stay mad at each other forever.

But what if you add more monkeys to the mix? What if there were three of them, and then two of them got into a fight? Would one always be outcasted? Would one monkey remain stuck in the middle?

Could the two monkeys exist without ever making up in this single habitat?

Why am I comparing my relationship to two monkeys?

Because I'm sad. And I don't like fighting with Bryce.

"What are you doing?" a familiar voice asked me.

I looked up to see the 6-year old from this morning looking down at me with a puzzled expression on her face.

"Watching the monkeys," I informed her.

"Why are you sitting on the floor?"

I just shrugged, because I really didn't have an answer.

"Where's Bryce?"

I shrugged to that question too, because I didn't know the answer to that either.

I hadn't seen him since our fight at the Shake Shack.

"Is he still sleeping?"

"No."

"Leah?" Theresa called, coming up behind her. "I told you to wait for me while I tied my shoe."

"I wanted to see the monkeys."

Theresa smiled at me. "Hello again."

I waved at her.

"Is Bryce here?"

I shook my head.

If she knew or understood she didn't say anything. "Well we were headed over to the bird exhibit if you'd like to join us."

So I stood up and tagged along with them.

I toured the entire zoo with them, and by the end my mood had changed drastically.

"Where to?" I asked Leah, who was perched on top of my shoulders.

"I think we need ice cream," she said, looking over at Theresa for confirmation.

"I think so too," Theresa said, with a nod.

"Yay!" Leah cheered.

I let her down off my shoulders, and the three of us bought animal-shaped ice cream before leaving the zoo to enjoy it on the benches out in Central Park.

"So where are you going now?" Leah asked me.

I went to tell her that I was headed to the hotel, but something caught my eye.

Leaning against the fence outside the exit was none other than Bryce Harrison.

"I knew you'd be here," he informed me, straightening up.