Chap. 58

"If you guys want to have a seat on the couch?" Kayla suggested, letting us into her apartment. "I can make a couple drinks."

"Good idea," Josh muttered.

"Can I have a minute?" Bryce asked.

Kayla nodded, and Bryce stepped back outside the apartment.

"What's going on?" Mr. Harrison asked, once he was gone.

"You're going to want to take a seat," Josh said. "And take a drink."

Mr. Harrison gave him a wary look, but took a seat on the couch, waiting for a drink that Kayla was currently working on.

Bryce came back a few minutes later, looking distressed.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I can't... I can't pronounce words," he informed me, his voice low.

I took his face in my cheeks, planting a quick kiss on his lips. "It's okay love. It'll come with time."

"I'm just really upset," he muttered, letting out a sigh. "And now I can't talk on top of it all."

"Okay dad," Kayla said, handing him a drink.

"Someone start talking," he said, looking between us.

"Want me to?" Kayla asked Bryce.

"No, I will," he stated.

I took a seat in the armchair, biting my bottom lip.

Josh took his drink, joining Kayla and her dad on the couch.

Bryce stood in front of his dad, taking in a deep breath and letting out slowly.

"Ease into it," Kayla suggested.

Mr. Harrison took a sip of his drink.

"I have cancer," Bryce stated.

My eyes widened, and Mr. Harrison began choking on his drink.

"Bryce!" Kayla exclaimed. "God Bryce, what the hell is the matter with you?"

"What did you want me to... to.. Fuck," he muttered. "What did you want me to do?"

"What?" Mr. Harrison demanded, as he regained control over his esophagus.

"Not that," Kayla declined. "Oh my God."

"I had..." Bryce started. "I had..." He let out a long sigh. "Kayla you're going to have to do this. I can't fucking talk."

She nodded. "Come sit down and relax."

"I don't want to... To take a..." He looked at me in frustration.

"You don't have to take a seat," I declined. "Come over and cool off."

He did as I asked, bracing his arms against the armrest of my armchair.

"It's okay," I said, giving him a quick peck on the lips. "Don't get worked up. It only makes it worse."

"What the hell is going on?" Mr. Harrison demanded.

"A couple of months ago, Bryce had brain surgery," Kayla informed her dad, from her position on the couch. "To remove a tumor."

"What tumor?"

"They found it in his head. He was having really bad headaches, but being the idiot he was, he refused to go to the doctor. So he finally ended up there by force, and they did a MRI and found the tumor."

"I'm not an idiot," Bryce muttered.

"Do not start," Kayla ordered.

Bryce stood up straight, letting out a long sigh.