Chap. 54

"How're you feeling?" I asked Bryce, lightly running my fingers through his hair.

"Not as shitty as usual, so I guess that's good."

I didn't even chastise him for his foul language, figuring that being sick warranted a few swear words.

"How's the tummy?"

"Preparing for a war," he muttered, leaning into me. "I'm not throwing up anymore, but my stomach feels like it's ripping itself to pieces."

I kissed his temple, jutting out my bottom lip. "I'm sorry love."

"Yeah, me too."

"Good Morning Baltimore!" Tracy Turnblad sang from the movie Hairspray, which was running on Bryce's TV for the millionth time.

"Every day's like an open door," Bryce muttered along with the TV.

He had my hand in his, absentmindedly playing with my fingers.

"Every night is a fantasy," Bryce said, glancing up at me with a smile. "Every sound's like a symphony."

"One day you're going to act this entire thing out," I informed him, as the song continued to play. "What's the point of even plugging in the movie when you know it by heart?"

"It's my favorite," he mumbled in defense.

"I know."

My phone went off as the song ended, and Bryce shot me a look.

"I like this part."

"You like every part," I said, with a laugh as I checked my phone.

It was Kylie calling me.

"What does she want?" Bryce whined.

"I don't know, I haven't answered it yet."

I disentangled myself from Bryce, sitting up straight before answering the phone. "Hey girl."

She didn't answer.

"Hello?" I questioned, pulling my phone away from my ear to check the connection.

We were connected, and I had nearly full bars.

"S-s-sophie," Kylie sobbed.

"Kylie?" I asked, my heart rate picking up in my chest. "Kyles, what's the matter?"

"L-L-landon b-broke up with m-me," Kylie sobbed.

Oh Lord.

I shot Bryce a look, and he raised his eyebrows at me in question.

"What happened?" I asked, standing up and leaning against the side of the bed.

"He said th-that he wanted to t-t-take a b-break," Kylie continued to cry.

I glanced over at Bryce, offering him an apologetic smile.

He wasn't even looking at me anymore, his eyes trained on the movie as he snuggled with Dawson.

"I'll be right there," I promised.

That caught Bryce's attention. His eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, his eyes searching mine.

Kylie just cried for a few moments, and I used that time to pull on my shoes, much to the dismay of Bryce.

"O-okay," Kylie finally said.

"I'm coming right over," I promised. "Keep it together hun, love you."

She hung up, and I placed my chin on the edge of Bryce's bed, kissing his nose.