Chap. 21

"Look at this," Bryce said, as he examined his chemotherapy pills.

It came with a biohazard bag.

"If the pill breaks, I have to put it in the biohazard bag and dispose of it," Bryce informed me. "I can put this in my body, but if the pill breaks it's biohazardous waste."

"That's creepy," I agreed.

Bryce measured out his dose for tonight before looking over at me.

"It's time to beat this brain alien," I said, locking eyes with him.

"What do you think poison tastes like?"

"Only one way to find out."

Bryce took a deep breath, letting out slowly before dumping the pills into his mouth.

By the look on his face, I'm guessing that chemo doesn't taste too good.

"No," Bryce said, once he'd successfully swallowed the chemo. "Poison does not taste good."

"So you wouldn't recommend it to your friends?"

He handed me a chemo pill. "Want to try one?"

I rolled my eyes as he chuckled, putting it back into the pill container.

"So that's it," I said.

"That's it," he said. "I've officially waged a war against the cancer inside of me."

"Well then you better get some rest to ensure that you win that war."

"You know what's better than rest?"

"I think I already know the answer."

"Hairspray."

I rolled my eyes, looking over at his smiling face. "Only because you just swallowed poison."

"I'll take it."

~*~

"So day two," I said, as Bryce hopped into my car, passing me a smoothie. "How're you feeling?"

"It's not technically day two," he pointed out. "I haven't taken the day two dose yet."

"Well it's day two to me. How're you feeling?"

"Like I was feeling yesterday."

"So like a million bucks?"

He chuckled as I backed out of his driveway, sipping on my smoothie.

"Pretty sure I can take this chemo."

Well the doctor had warned him that he might not start feeling the effects until day four, if at all on the first dosage.

But I didn't want to bring him down.

"And I know what the doctor said," Bryce added. "But I'm just enjoying it for what it is now."

"What's in this smoothie?" I asked, as I took my second sip.

It didn't taste very good.

He just smiled at me.

"You put blueberry in here didn't you?"

"You can't make it without blueberry!"

"I don't like blueberry," I complained. "You had one job Bryce, one job."

He just laughed, reaching over and swiping my smoothie to take a sip of his own.

I'm pretty sure he just made the smoothie to drink it himself anyways.

~*~

I woke up to the pinging of my phone.

I reached over and hit my phone, as if that was going to make it stop.