Chap. 62

Just a quick little doodly doo before the update. In this chapter it's going to sound like Sophie is checking Clayton out. She's not. I just realized that I've never actually included a description of Clayton in this story, so I thought I'd do a real quick one. Once again, she's not checking him out. Just stating the facts.

***********************************************************************************************

"Call us when you land," mom said, before kissing my cheek. "And be safe."

"I will," I promised.

"I never liked that Clayton kid," dad muttered.

I just chuckled. "Bye daddy."

He kissed my forehead. "Make sure you call us when you land."

I know that they were apprehensive about sending me all the way to Florida without some sort of adult supervision, but I'd promised to call them every night and be on my best behavior.

They were still super nervous though.

"Everything good?" Bryce asked, as I joined him in the airport terminal.

"They're just being overprotective."

"As they should be."

I rolled my eyes as he wrapped his hand around mine.

"At least you have parents that care," he pointed out, with a half-smile.

"Your mom just isn't worried," I argued. "It's Clayton, your best friend. My parents don't know him, and my dad's not his biggest fan."

"Well most people aren't."

I laughed at that, the two of us making our way through the airport security line.

I emptied out my pockets and placed my carry-on bag onto the belt, stepping through the scanner.

I made it through without an issue.

Bryce did so as well, but I guess he looked suspicious, because they pulled him aside for further investigation.

"What'd you do?" I asked him, laughing as he rejoined me.

"That was the most invasive experience of my life," he muttered, giving me a sour look.

I just laughed, heading over to Starbucks.

It was very early in the morning, and I needed my caffeine fix.

We took our seats in the chairs out by our terminal, Bryce leaning back and closing his eyes.

"How're you feeling?" I asked him.

"Okay," he said, reopening his eyes. "Last night was my first night of the Chemo, so my stomach is a little upset, but it's nothing I can't handle."

"Just let me know if you get overheated or anything today," I instructed, as he let his head drop onto my shoulder. I took his hand in my mine, playing with his fingers. "It's Florida, so it's bound to be, like, a thousand degrees out."

He let out a low chuckle. "I'll just keep hydrated. I'm not missing Disney for anything."

"How'd Clayton get Disney tickets anyways?"

"Said he's made some connections out at school, and he knows some people that work out there."

Clayton making connections. That seems like a foreign concept to me.

He's not that likeable of a person.

~*~

"Did he say where he was going to meet us?" I asked Bryce, after we retrieved our luggage.