Chap. 53

"I told you," I huffed, shaking my head.

"Told me what?" Clayton asked, wrinkling his eyebrows.

"It wasn't the camping," Bryce declined. "It's just the Chemo."

"Bryce, you don't run a fever because of the Chemo," I declined. "You're sick."

"What are we talking about?" Clayton asked.

"You had one job!" I said, turning to glare at him. "Make sure Bryce stays healthy."

"I did the best I could," Clayton defended, holding his hands up in mock surrender.

"Well your best wasn't good enough."

"He's a big boy, he can take care of himself."

"He was on Chemo in the middle of the woods, you should've-"

"Can you two take this somewhere else?" Bryce questioned. "I'm trying to have a fever in peace."

I crawled into his bed next to him, placing a kiss on his burning forehead. "I'm sorry babe." I glanced up at Clayton. "I'm sorry that you have a halfwit for a best friend."

"For the last fucking time, it's not my-"

"Out!" Bryce ordered, pointing to the door. "Both of you."

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Unless you two can control yourselves, you're going to need to leave," Bryce amended.

Clayton disappeared from the room.

"Looks like we know who the mature one is here," I sang.

Bryce just rolled his eyes, turning up the volume on his TV, which was currently blasting Hairspray for the thousandth time.

Clayton reappeared a few minutes later, tossing Bryce a cool rag. "Put this on your forehead."

Darn it.

"Looks like we know who the smart one is here," Clayton shot at me, with a smirk.

"Shut up."

"It's not my fault I actually put Bryce's needs before-"

"Can you please?" Bryce groaned, giving the two of us pointed looks. "I'm trying to watch my movie."

"Is it really even watching it anymore?" Clayton questioned. "You know the damn thing by heart."

"That's irrelevant. I'm tired, my head hurts, and I want some peace. So you two either need to figure it out or get out."

I glared at Clayton before snuggling up close to Bryce, focusing my attention on his overplayed movie.

"How was your beach trip?" Bryce questioned, as Clayton lied out across the foot of his bed, using Dawson as his pillow.

"Amazing," I gushed, a smile spreading across my face. "Everything I hoped it would be."

"How was running the camp by yourself on Friday?" Clayton questioned.

"Ran smoothly. We did an Art project in the afternoon, followed by indoor games and then a movie until the parents came. So ha."

"I promised Brian a dollar if he spilled his apple juice all over the floor more than once."

"You jerk!"

"Well did he?"

"Yes, like six times."

Clayton cracked up, and Bryce whacked him with a pillow.