Chap. 52

"Why are you in such a hurry to get out of here today?" Steven asked me.

"Because Bryce comes back from his tournament," I reminded him, as I tossed a leftover plastic cup in the trash. "Which they won, by the way."

Steven just rolled his eyes, throwing away an empty fruit snacks wrapper.

"But I'm meeting him in exactly...." I trailed off to check my phone. "22 minutes. So I need to leave."

"Get out of here lovebird," Kylie said, coming up behind me. "I'll close up today."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure."

"You're our superior," Steven mocked, raising his eyebrows at me. "You can't leave before us."

"Shut up," I warned, grabbing my purse out from behind one of the folding tables. "I appoint Kylie as my fill-in."

"You can't do that," Steven declined.

"Well I just did."

He huffed at me, wrinkling his eyebrows in frustration as I left Ms. Wilcott's summer camp, heading out to my car.

Bryce had texted me earlier in the day, informing me that Clayton was giving him a ride back to his place once the boys got back to South Carolina.

I agreed to meet him at Clayton's for the sole reason that I'd get to be the first person to see him when he got back. Aside from Clayton's family.

The drive to Clayton's place was a little over 15 minutes, but I still beat the boys when I pulled into the driveway.

Great. I was alone with Clayton's parents. Again.

I turned off my car, leaning back in my seat.

Decision time again.

Do I wait out in my car for the boys to show up? Or do I go inside and spent time with Clarissa and Taylor, Clayton's parents?

The porch light flipped on.

I guess they saw me pull in.

I stepped out of my car, heading up to their front porch.

Clarissa stepped outside, greeting me on the porch.

"Hello," she said, with a smile.

"Hi," I said, with a small smile of my own. "Sorry to just show up to your house, I thought the boys would be here by-"

"Please don't worry about it," Clarissa said, opening the door for me. "You're welcome here any time."

I couldn't help but smile a little wider.

Taylor wasn't anywhere in the kitchen or the living room.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Clarissa asked me.

I shook my head. "Thank you though."

She retook her seat on the couch, beckoning me to sit next to her.

There was a scrapbook open on the table in front of her.

"I was going through Clayton's old baseball days," she admitted, with a slight blush on her cheeks. "Just reminiscing about when he was a little squirt that I used to have to remind to stop picking grass in the outfield and pay attention to the game." She let out a small laugh. "I'm such a mom, I know."

"It sounds cute."

She picked up the scrapbook, flipping a few pages before pointing to a picture.