Chap. 31

"I don't even want to go anymore," I said to Kylie, watching as Paulina finished her hair.

"So you've been saying," Kylie said, giving me a look. "And what have I been telling you?"

"That I'll have fun without him."

"You're going to have fun with us," she promised.

I just let out a long sigh as Kylie stood up, kissing Paulina's cheek and thanking her.

"Sit," Kylie ordered to me, pointing to the seat.

I did as I was told, staring in the mirror as Paulina started on my hair.

"You're going to look gorgeous," Paulina informed me.

"What good is that?" I asked her.

She raised an eyebrow at me.

"I don't even want to go."

"Go with your friends, have fun with them."

"Kylie is going with Landon."

"You don't like Landon?"

"Nobody likes Landon," I corrected. "But all of my friends have dates."

"And you don't?"

"He's not going."

"You don't need a boy to have fun," Paulina informed me. "All you need is a bottle of wine to have a good time."

I couldn't help but laugh. "I think I'll pass on that."

"And your girlfriends," she added. "Dates or no dates, they're still your girlfriends."

She was probably right.

I need to suck it up and have a good time.

I owed it to myself. And to Bryce.

~*~

"Are you coming?" my mom called. "You're going to make us late!"

I stared at the dress still hanging on my closet door before turning to look in the mirror.

This wasn't exactly how I imagined my Prom night.

But I was going to make the best of it.

I stepped into my Prom dress, a smile crossing my face as I stared at my reflection.

My hair was braided back into a curly bun, a few loose pieces falling around my face.

It was everything I imagined it to be.

Almost.

I made my way down the stairs, my dad scowling when he saw my dress.

He hated it. He'd hated it when I'd showed it to him after I'd bought it and when I'd tried it on for him.

A smile spread across my mom's face when she saw me, her hand reaching up to cover her heart.

"You look darling," mom said, shaking her head.

She took my hand in hers, twirling me around. "Absolutely stunning."

I looked over at my dad, waiting for him to say something.

Anything.

He let out a sigh, reaching out his arms and pulling me into a tight hug.

"You're still my little girl," he said, squeezing my tight. "I just don't want to see you all grown up."

"I'm not grown up daddy," I said, hugging him back. "I promise."

He kissed my forehead before releasing me, and I could almost swear that there was a hint of a tear in the corner of his eye. "Well go out and break hearts tonight then."