Chap. 55

"Alright," I said to Steven, as I reviewed the list. "I'm leaving you in charge."

"I'm honored."

I rolled my eyes. "Clayton will be here in 15 minutes."

"Of course."

"Can you handle it?"

"I think I can figure it out."

"I'll be back in 30," I said, hiking my purse up over my shoulder. "Please don't burn the camp down or anything."

"I'll try my best."

I gave him a good shove before saying goodbye to my kids, promising to bring pizza upon my return.

Today was Fun Friday, meaning that I was providing pizza for the kids' lunches. Meaning that I had to leave to actually pick up the pizza.

And Kylie had called out sick. I think she was still mourning she and Landon's break-up, but no matter because we were down a hand today. But Clayton had agreed to come in and fill in for the afternoon.

So I now get to spend my afternoon with Steven Anderson and Clayton Johnson. How did I get to be so lucky?

I stopped and picked up the pizza order, dropping a few bucks in the tip jar to thank the guys for their hard work. Making up all these pizzas for just my order had to be a daunting task, not to mention the rest of the pizzas they'd be slaving away on during the rest of their Friday shift.

As predicted, it took me about 30 minutes to pick up the pizzas, and when I came back the kids were in the gym, playing dodgeball.

Clayton was playing as referee, which was odd. He'd usually be in the midst of the game, pegging kids.

"Hey," I greeted, my eyes surveying the gym for Steven.

I didn't see him.

"Where's Steven?"

"Not here."

I looked over at Clayton, my eyebrows raised. "What do you mean not here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing."

"What?"

"When I got here, the kids were sitting in the break room with a custodian?"

I stared at him, my jaw falling slack.

"Are you kidding?" I screeched, causing the gym to fall silent.

I glanced around at the kids, who were now all staring at me after my outburst.

"Um, sorry," I said, with a wave of my hand. "Continue on with your barbaric game."

Clayton rolled his eyes, picking up a dodgeball and pegging Kobe with it. "You're out. Continue."

"That's not fair!" Kobe exclaimed, as the game continued.

"I'm the ref and I make the rules," Clayton whined back. "You're out."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not out Kobe. Don't listen to him."

Kobe picked up another ball, resuming playing.

"I left Steven in charge for 15 minutes," I hissed.

"Actually I was five minutes late."

"Shut up, you're not helping."

Clayton chuckled, clearly amused by the situation at hand.

"We could get sued."

"By who exactly? I'm certainly not telling parents. And the kids were watching a movie, so I highly doubt they even knew Anderson left. So unless you're blabbing to the parents, they're never going to know."