Chapter 8

Family day out

Oh. My. God. Why does everything hurt so bad? Oh yeah, I did play a rather intense game yesterday with the boys. Urgh, I manage to roll myself out of bed and get ready for the day, I wear my go to outfit before heading out. Todays another practice day but thanks to yesterday coach allowed us to have the day off, so now I'm heading over to mum's house to spend some good quality time with my family even if we have to fake it to make it.

As I make my way to my car that finally got delivered, a fiat 500 in the colour of baby blue I manage to bump into some familiar faces. Puppy eyes, Frosty, Milk chocolate and Wakatoshi appear to be heading out.

"Yo Y/n-chan~ didn't know you had a car." Puppy eyes looks at it with a grin. I smile back and nod at them.

"Yeah it finally came yesterday, my dad returned it back to me. What are you guys doing today?" I ask them, I make eye contact with Wakatoshi and for some reason it feels different whenever I look at him now, my stomach begins to do back flips while I feel my heart pounding whenever I'm near him, it can't be what I think it is right? Right?!

"Oh, we're just heading out for a wander around town, do you wanna join?" A look of hope splashes across Wakatoshis face. I shake my head and the look disappears.

"I can't sorry, got a family day, my dad is only here for the week while my brothers are staying for a little while to spend time with mum." They nod in understanding; I give them a goodbye before getting into my car. They wave me off.

The drive isn't that long from school but then again, it's a Sunday and I've finally got my car back. I drive  up to a friendly suburban neighbourhood and pull up to a slender building that has the feelings of both nostalgia and modern architecture. I knock on the door to be only grabbed and brought into the house by three overgrown children that squeeze and lift me off my feet. My brothers bring me into the lounge where my mum is in the open plan kitchen making lunch. My stomach automatically growls from missing mums cooking.

"Y/n, you're here, we missed you so much." James adds in Japanese.

There's only one rule in mums house and that's to only speak Japanese, it sets her off if we start speaking in English towards her.  I push myself off him and grimace at their overly affectionate behaviour.

"I saw you yesterday." I retort heading towards the kitchen.

"But that's different." They all whine while sitting at the counter of the island in the kitchen.

I go in for a back hug, I feel her relax under me and smile when I look down at her. She's currently making Onigiri with tuna and some others with chicken and vegetables. I smile at the wonderful sight. I take my seat at the counter when she brings the food out, we all take a lot after all we're active volleyball players, so we chow down most of it in minutes. Luckily, mum has gotten used to our gluttony behaviour and always makes more.

She takes a seat and begins to ask about school.

"It's going good, I dealt with a bullying situation in which I got the girls involved expelled, and then I joined the boys' volleyball club as the manager." She looks at me nodding and smiles that I'm not hurt or whatever.

"Any boy that I should know about?" I stop eating, mum causes us all to stop and wait for my answer, I hesitate so James answers for me.

"Yeah, there is one, but I think that she just realised today how she really feels about him." Is this bitch a mind reader or what, I glance at him to which the bitch gives me a thumbs up. I look sheepishly at mum who is now giving me a wry smile.

"Must be a special boy then, what's his name? Does he do a club?" Here we go people, the motherly interrogation has begun and just like before they all butt in before me.

"Oh, you'll like him mum, he's in the boys' volleyball team and he's the captain." Leo goes in for another tuna onigiri.

"His name is Ushijima Wakatoshi." Andrew says while stuffing his mouth full of rice.

I just side glance at them pouting that I didn't even get to speak. Mum just nods at all of us, she then turns to me finally.

"Do you think that he'll treat you better than Darren did?" I nod at her gradually disappearing under the table.

"I hate you three." I mumble out, James just looks at me before nudging me off my seat, I face plant the floor.

Lunch was spent me trying to kill him while my other two brothers sat and videoed the entire thing. Mum was also enjoying the sight.

Now outside where a mini court has been set up but me and the bros were just peppering the ball to one another, joking, and making fun of one another.

"Isn't the inter-high prelims coming up?" Andrew asks while bumping the ball to me, I bump it to James who wasn't expecting it, so it bounces into his face.

"Yup, it's next week actually. You should come and support us." James finally gets up and is hit yet again by Leo taking advantage of him being down.

"Only if you make it to the final round then we will show up." I pout at his statement but I'm confident in the team's progress, so I just smile smugly at them.

"Then I guess I'll be seeing you." He laughs at my confidence; I bump the ball to him who powerfully spikes it at James. We all burst out into a fit of laughter as James now star fishes on the ground.

"I hate you." He angrily mumbles while still lying on the ground.

~*~
This has been edited - 17/06/2021