Chapter 45

Elastic Heart | Sia

"Jan, this is an emergency."

When I answered the phone, that was the first thing to leave the person on the other line's mouth. I frowned because one, who was I talking to? And two, how did they know my name?

"Uh," I said. "Who's this?"

The person laughed loudly (seriously, I had to pull the phone away from my ear) before they spoke again, "oh, it's Louis, sorry."

Well, that made sense. But then again it didn't because I never gave him my number. At least I don't recall doing so I didn't think.

"How'd you get my number?" I squinted my eyes even though he couldn't see me.

"I snuck into your house last night and stole your phone so I could add your number to my contacts," he uttered sarcastically. "I took it from Zayn's phone, how else?"

"Ha ha," I spoke dryly. "What's the big emergency?"

"Zayn's birthday is in a week and a half."

"Okay? I knew that already."

"Well I'd like to hope so," he chuckled. "I mean Zayn's birthday is in a week and a half and we need to plan something big. I'm thinking strippers and fireworks, what do you think?"

"Um, I think not." I laughed, shaking my head.

Zayn plus strippers? I didn't think so.

"Okay so no fireworks, got it."

"Louis," I warned.

"Just kidding! God, I wish I could see the look on your face right now."

"You're quite something, aren't you?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm pretty special."

"That you are," I scoffed. "Anyway, what are you honestly thinking about planning for Zayn's birthday? Because I'm not the best with this kind of stuff if I'm being honest."

"Oh you are," Louis joked and I came to the conclusion that it was nearly impossible to refrain from rolling your eyes when speaking to Louis. I mean, he was a cool lad and everything, but he was a lot to handle. "But seriously, me and the other lads want to surprise him. Maybe on the day of his birthday you could keep him preoccupied during the day that way he won't be at home and the rest of us can set everything up."

It sounded fairly easy to me. Which I didn't think it'd be hard to keep Zayn busy at all. All I had to do was make sure he wasn't home and that was it. It was a piece of cake.

Except I still had to think about what I was going to get him as a gift. This time around I had a lot more time unlike Christmas. I could definitely handle this, I could.

"Okay," I agreed. "Sounds fun."

"I'm quite the genius," Louis told me and I pictured him with this overly smug look on his face. I'd let him have this one this time.

"Anyway, this should be fairly easy on my part. Liam's a bit of a pushover and tweedle dee and tweedle dum basically do anything I say, so."

"Tweedle dee and tweedle dum?"

"Harry and Niall; they're basically attached at the fucking hip. Harry literally worships the ground Niall walks on and Niall's, like, obsessed with me so I basically have them wrapped around my finger."

"You're so mean," I giggled but felt kind of bad that I found what he was saying funny. Niall and Harry were pretty cool the first time I'd met them and honestly I had a feeling that Louis was completely right about the two.