Chapter 51

Silver Lining | Rilo Kiley

Turns out, Alexa had been having second thoughts about this double date thing she was so adamant about. When I asked Dave about it later on, according to him, Alexa hadn't told him about it. Which really wasn't that weird to me since it was only an idea, something Alexa thought would be fun. She wasn't really all that set on actually making it happen anyway. And Dave seemed okay with it, too. He wasn't mad, and for that I was thankful.

Besides, Alexa thought it would make more sense for them to actually go on a few dates beforehand, which I agreed. Plus, we didn't want to leave Grace hanging all alone like that, so it was better to just do it some other time.

Zayn, on the other hand, quite liked the idea for some completely odd reason that I'd never understand. I didn't question him, though. Didn't really want to get into it.

"We should still go out," Zayn said, not really paying much attention (he was on his phone instead), but I could pinpoint the sincerity in his voice.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning from where my head had been rested on his shoulder to look at him. And when I looked at him I felt a hundred times happier than I ever had with him.

"Yeah," he nodded, smiling at me when our eyes met. "Could be fun."

"You say that like we never have fun," I scoffed. And when I let my head fall back on his chest, Zayn brought his hand up to massage his fingers through my hair, causing me to lean into his touch.

"No," I felt him shake his head above me. "We do have fun." He kissed the top of my head, still scrolling lazily through his phone all the while.

"Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty fun," I smirked. "I guess you are, too." I joked. I'd never been good at picking fun, obviously.

"Funny looking, more like."

"You just get meaner and meaner everyday, don't you?"

"S'all out of love, Jan," Zayn insisted, and I knew for a fact that he was grinning right now. That made me want to grin, too. "But yeah, we should still do something anyway."

"And what will we be doing?" I asked, playing with the bottom of his shirt subconsciously.

"Can't tell ya, babe. It's a surprise." And yeah, I should've known that would be his answer. It always was, and I figured it always would be.

Deep down, though, I secretly liked it. But I'd never tell Zayn that because he'd never let me live it down. Now what his so called surprise would be, I didn't know that much. But I didn't exactly mind since I knew I'd be with Zayn and that's all that really mattered anyway.

***

Zayn didn't really have a specific surprise planned in the first place; he mostly just said that for a bit of banter. In the end, we ended up deciding what we wanted to do together because it felt like the couple-y thing to do, I suppose. And I wasn't sure what made me blurt out that going ice skating would be fun -- I was the worst at ice skating to begin with -- but I had and Zayn found himself agreeing with me and that was that, really.

So that's how we ended up at an ice skating rink, sitting side by side as we laced up our skates and got ready to head out onto the icy rink.

"Just to let you know," I spoke up while Zayn and I walked towards the ice with wobbly feet, hands clasped together for support. "I'm terrible at this. Honestly, I might die."

"That sucks then 'cause m'not much better," Zayn laughed, and at least if we did end up dying we'd die together. Except, I didn't think it would ever be that serious so we were okay for today.