Chapter 10

Crush | Sleigh Bells

"Look at you. You're so smitten."

I may have brushed off Alexa's comment like it was nothing, but on the inside I was dying. My heart was flipping, doing full on somersaults because she was so right. I wouldn't exactly say I was smitten, but I was really into Zayn. Like, really, really into him. And the more I was around him, the more I realized how I was completely falling for him.

"She's blushing!" Grace squealed, pinching my cheeks like I was some chubby infant.

"You guys, it's really nothing. We're just friends."

"But you want to be something more," She teased, wriggling her eyebrows like a teenage girl.

"I've only known him for like a month. Let's not get ahead of ourselves."

"A month? Wow, you sure do ditch your best friends a lot for a guy you've only known for a month." Alexa joked. She may have laughed, but deep down I knew she was actually annoyed with me for that. But I couldn't help it. If she was in my place, she'd definitely do the same thing. There wasn't a doubt in my mind. Zayn just drew you in. And once you were in, there was no turning back.

"Sorry," I defended myself. "It's just that he's really interesting. And I'm―"

"You're obsessed, we get it."

I decided not to say anything, only rolling my eyes at Alexa's comment. She was making it seem like my whole world revolved around Zayn and only Zayn, but that wasn't the case.

"She's joking," Grace uttered, slurping on her drink obnoxiously. "We just miss you, that's all."

"I'm sorry. Me too."

"So, what's so great about this Zayn character anyway?"

My smile grew magnificently whenever his name was mentioned. Alexa was right―I was completely smitten.

"He's the total package: a complete bad boy―leather jackets, tattoos and all. He's got great hair and a wonderful personality. A little mysterious, yet charming and oh-so-caring. He's Prince Charming brought to life."

I looked towards Alexa, a look of pure shock on my face. I was totally impressed with her description because it was so spot on. I mean, everything she explained was so right, except I wasn't really sure if Zayn was a real life Prince Charming, but I was sure that I'd soon find out.

"What? Did I describe your little boyfriend so perfectly?" Alexa scoffed, flipping her blonde hair off of her shoulders.

"He's not my boyfriend," I insisted, although I wouldn't really mind. "But yes," I added. "Yes you did."

***

"Do you remember my friend Alexa?"

I laid on my back across my bed, my phone held up to my ear. I was talking on the phone with Zayn (cue the angels singing from the heavens above), which was a pretty big deal since I'd never talked to him on the phone before. It was like we were taking the next step into our friendship, or whatever this was.

"Uh, yeah, I guess." Zayn said and I knew he was either shrugging his shoulders or scratching his head uninterestingly.

I wasn't sure how he did it, but somehow he managed to sound even hotter over the phone. I really wanted to learn his ways, or just understand him better.

"I don't think she likes you. I mean, it's pretty weird if you ask me because you're, like, pretty likable."

"She doesn't like me?"

"I don't know. It's not that she doesn't like you, it's just, I feel like she's, you know, jealous."

It was true. I got this strong feeling, this strong vibe from Alexa that she was jealous of Zayn. It was pretty funny if you thought about it since Alexa was this sort of self-centered, everything is about me kind of girl. So to say that she, Queen Bee herself, was jealous of another person, a guy at that, was kind of hilarious.

"Jealous? Like, how?"

"She thinks I'm ditching her for you. But I really can't blame her because we have been hanging out together a lot."

But I wasn't complaining.

"Maybe we shouldn't―"

And that's when I sort of tuned him out. I knew exactly what he was going to say. That we should stop spending so much time together and I should focus on my friends, blah, blah, blah. I loved my friends, I really did, but not spending time with Zayn? I mean, that was like next level torture. You might as well stick a needle in my eye or something worse like not letting me breathe.

"―spend so much time together, you know? Like maybe you should, like, make more time for Alexa and Gwen."

"Grace," I corrected.

"Yeah, Grace." he muttered. "I'm not saying I don't enjoy hanging out with you, because I do," I blushed. I blushed so hard. "But, you know, they're your friends and if they feel that way then you should do something about it."

Ugh. I hated how he was so right. I hated Zayn so much, but in a I-really-like-you-kiss-me kind of way.

And that's when it hit me. I kind of, sort of―no, I really did like Zayn. And that was pretty scary because crushes, minor or not, were always a really scary thing.

"Anyway, I really have to go, I'm sorry, but think about it, okay? I know you'll miss me too much, but think about your friends." he laughed, but it was funny how serious I took his words. I really would miss him.

God, I was really silly.

And stupid. Boy, was I stupid.

I said my goodbyes to Zayn (even though I'd rather not have), sinking further into my bed, letting out a long dramatic sigh. What was I going to do now?

***

So Zayn suggesting him and January not spend so much time together, eh? (I'm wiggling my eyebrows rn, I just thought you should know)

I REALLY HOPE THIS CHAPTER WAS ENJOYABLE BC I REALLY LIKE WRITING THIS STORY AND YEAH BYE