Chapter 3

Thinkin Bout You | Frank Ocean

Heart Skipped A Beat | The Xx

Zayn's POV

Thoughts of last night flooded my mind. I couldn't get her out of my head. Images of her body swaying to the beat, her fingers slipping into my hair clouded my mind in a good way. I was so eager to see her again that I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation.

There was nothing left of her, no way to contact her. I hadn't gotten anything―no phone number, social networking site, no nothing. I had to admit, it was pretty frustrating and I wished for nothing more than to go back in time and change that. But I couldn't so all I could do was hope.

Something about her was so different; I couldn't explain it. Even her name was unique. I mean, I didn't know many people who were named after a month. And even though I barely got the chance to have an honest conversation with January, I knew she wasn't like the rest. I didn't know how, but I could just feel it deep down inside.

I imagined us running into each other coincidentally. I pictured her with a wide smile spread across her face, her cheeks rosy from the crisp air and nervousness. I pictured her dark hair flowing aimlessly through the cool winds and her having to hold the top of her head because her hair was so out of control. I felt so attached to this girl and I'd only met her yesterday.

I sat on one of the high stools in my favorite coffee shop; pencil in one hand, a coffee in the other. I sat alone, my pencil flying across the page as I sketched the one thing on my mind: January. It might seem a little weird, creepy even, to be drawing a girl I didn't even know but I couldn't help it. I was an artist. This is the kind of things artists do. We draw what we feel.

It wasn't a very detailed sketch, just a basic one. I didn't memorize every feature but I came close. I touched up on different parts of my drawing as I sipped on my coffee. The sound of a bell ringing (signaling that someone was entering the shop) caught my attention. I couldn't believe the sight I was seeing. I felt like I was dreaming or hallucinating or like God was playing some sick joke on me.

And if I thought I didn't really believe in fate before, I sure did now.

January's POV

I followed behind Grace and Alexa as they entered my favorite coffee shop. The cool and crisp winter air hit me, causing my hair to fly around my face just as the front door slammed shut. The beautiful smell of roasted coffee beans and hazelnuts filled my senses once we were fully inside. God, I loved that smell.

The line to order was fairly long as usual. I stood with my hands in my pockets, waiting as I listened to Alexa's conversation with Grace.

"I hate winter," Alexa complained with a roll of her blue eyes.

"Then you must loathe London because it's practically always winter here," I chuckled. Fifty percent of the year was cold.

"I guess I hate London then," she sighed, flipping her strawberry blonde hair off of her shoulder, causing me to giggle once more.

My eyes traveled around the room impatiently. It seemed like this line was going absolutely no where. I huffed before my eyes settled on one spot.

I couldn't believe it. It was like all of my hopes were finally being answered. I squinted my eyes to make sure I knew exactly what I was seeing. A breath hitched in my throat as he jumped down from his stool and made his way over to me.

Zayn.

He looked like a damn male model walking down a runway. I silently praised myself for offering to dance with him last night.