Chapter 16

Fallingforyou | The 1975

Pretty. That's exactly what he was. And I know it was a bit of a feminine description for someone who was far from a woman, but it was true. He was pretty. Even prettier than some of the girls I've seen in my lifetime. He'd give his fellow contestants a run for their money if he ever ran in a beauty pageant. I know I wouldn't stand a chance next to him.

His eyelashes were so long, another pretty thing about him, that they barely brushed against the top of his perfectly chiseled cheekbones. It wasn't fair. He didn't deserve those eyelashes like I did; he'd never use them. And don't get me started on those cheekbones and that precisely sculptured jawline. He could slice a block of cheese with that chin.

His lips were a pretty pink, not too dark but not too pale. I found myself wondering if they were as soft as they looked. I pictured them against mine, lightly grazing my lips making my eyes flutter and my heart thump ferociously in my chest. I pictured them feeling like the fluffy clouds that floated in the sky or airy and light like sugary cotton candy. I wondered if when we kissed (or if we ever even would), would his fingers end up getting lost in my long hair? Would he run his tongue across my bottom lip seductively after letting it get caught in between his teeth? Would his breaths fan across my skin causing goosebumps to rise where the air hit my face? Or would he rest his forehead against mine, a small smirk prancing on his lips as his golden eyes searched mine?

Now I was just sad. I felt like I'd never get the chance to ever fulfill my fantasies any time soon. It was stupid, I was stupid because it would never happen. I mean, at least I hoped it would.

And as I sat beside him, so close that our knees almost touched, I couldn't help but stare at the beauty who called himself Zayn. I felt my lips twitching up into a faint smile because just being in his presence made me happy. He didn't have to talk or anything, he'd make me smile either way. I had to resist reaching out to intertwine our hands or stroke his face with trembling fingertips. I'd do it if I were brave enough...

"You know, it's not polite to stare," he says, turning halfway to smirk at me. I can't help the blush that creeps onto my face.

"I wasn't staring," I chuckled nervously. I was most definitely staring.

"It's not like I mind or anything."
He wasn't looking in my direction anymore but I could still see the smile spreading across his face. I wanted to kiss him even more.

"Okay," was all I managed to say since I didn't trust my voice anymore. It was stupid and now I felt stupid because I knew if I were to say anything else it would only sound stupider than I did right now. So "okay" was okay for now.
Zayn chuckled lightly, shaking his head.

"Hey," he said, his voice turning all serious. He tossed a pack of cigarettes in his hands, twirling and twisting the box aimlessly. "I wanna take you somewhere."

My heart started to stutter nervously as I wondered where we could possibly go.

"We're already somewhere," I giggled, bumping him lightly with my shoulder.

He laughed, his eyes crinkling in that cute way they always did. He'd stopped playing with the box of cigs by now. He shoved them into his front pocket, wiping his hands against his black jeans.

"No, somewhere else obviously."

"Like where?" I questioned. "And don't you dare say 'it's a surprise' because I won't hesitate to slap you 'round your head."

He may've laughed but I was completely serious. I'd heard that sentence too many times from him, I didn't fancy hearing it again.

"Do you not like surprises, Jan?" he poked fun at me.