Chapter 27

From Zayn:

I'm thinking about getting an iguana what do you say?

I frowned at my phone for a good five or so minutes at the text I was just sent from Zayn. I was very -- what's the word? Confused? -- to why Zayn was even asking me this in the first place and at twelve thirty in the morning? Come on.

I slid my phone unlocked, my eyebrows still furrowed at the message in my hand. It was half past midnight and Zayn was asking me about iguanas of all things on this earth. Iguanas. And no, iguanas were like mini dragons. They were scaly (were they scaly?) and weird looking and green and ew. No.

No he shouldn't get an iguana. Why not a rabbit or a turtle if he wanted something reptile-like?

To Zayn:

gross. no. absolutely not.

Not even a minute passed and my phone was already lighting up again.

From Zayn:

c'mon :(

And fuck, even if I couldn't see his face I could see his face, and right now I knew for a fact that he was pouting. He was definitely pouting.

To Zayn:

I mean... if you really want one...

To Zayn:

you should totally get it.

I was in so deep.

To Zayn:

but I will not come within five feet of the thing. I will not.

Maybe Zayn was bored, I don't know, but iguana talk at twelve AM with your girlfriend was like, next level weirdness. And who knows? Maybe he actually wanted an iguana. Maybe it was like his dream pet or something.

It was different alright, I'll tell you that. Normal people bought dogs or cats or even fish, but no, Zayn wanted an iguana. A fucking mini dragon.

I felt like I was in the middle of some weird fantasy, cosplay game.

From Zayn:

bummer...

From Zayn:

I'll really miss you coming over now.

Oh, good one.

To Zayn:

ha ha very funny

I shook my head to myself, pushing my body further underneath the covers. I was a bit sleepy but of course I couldn't even think about sleeping when I was conversing with Zayn. It was almost impossible. I refused to close my eyelids until he texted me goodnight or something.

I thought about turning on the tv but the remote was way too far for my liking and I was far too lazy to get up from my comfortable bed to get it. So I could cross that option off of my list.

If I didn't preoccupy myself with something, anything, soon then I knew for sure that I'd knock out. I'd be out cold until the morning.

I started playing with the switch on the lamp that was placed on the side of my bed, twisting it on and off, but then I realized that I'd run out the light bulb and I didn't feel like making a trip to the store to buy new ones.

Another thing I could cross off.

My thoughts were interrupted by a vibration in my hand that nearly made me fall out of bed. (I almost forgot that I was texting Zayn, okay?) I unlocked my phone once again, revealing the text message.