We Are Things. Not People.

MIA'S POV

My head whips toward Autumn's scream. "Iris!" I let my feet carry me to the source, and see two people carrying my friend. She's passed out, dried blood on her forehead.

"You bastards!" I pull out my throwing knife, but before I can throw, the man pulls up his gun. He fires, and everything goes dark.

-----

I shoot up, still holding my knife. The people are gone, along with Dark Iris. I stand up slowly, and for the first time since my brother's death, a tear runs down my cheek. "No..."

Suddenly, someone yells my name. Harmony. I slowly trudge back, everything gone from my mind. She looks at me when I walk into the main hall of the mansion. "Grey! What happened?! Where's Iris?"

"She's gone." My voice is cracked, and I know more tears are on the way.

"What?!" Mostly everyone says it at the same time, but BEN says something else.

"You bitch!" He dashes at me at top speed, his hands outstretched to choke me.

I grab his wrists and throw him against the wall. A few snaps confirm his wrists are broken along with possibly a few ribs. He lies on the ground for a moment, and then he looks up at me with pure hatred in his eyes.

But in the moment of his weakness, I literally felt something in me disappear. My brain knew what it was, and so now I know. A part of what is left of my humanity is gone.

As soon as he even tries to grab his sword is the moment my knife sinks into his hip. "It wasn't my fault." Even my voice seems to have changed.

I feel a tug on my jeans leg, so I turn around. Sally looks up at me, her eyes soft and gentle. "Stay still." She takes both my hands in hers, and, not breaking eye contact, she starts to sing.

As she sings, her eyes start radiating a welcoming glow, and her hands send warmth through my body. That part of my humanity? It's back now.

When she stops singing, I let go of her hands and fall next to Ben. I stare at the room, and stand up with a sudden strand of confidence.

(Little A/N: This is the point in the story where you grab that box of tissues by your bed that you keep for special occasions like these where shit really goes down in the emotional aspect.)

"Guys. I know that we just lost one of our own, and that some of you aren't taking it that well, but let me just say- We are things. Not people. Things. You know why? Because we don't feel like we should. We don't feel guilty. We don't feel emotional pain. Because we don't stay dead. Because we aren't considered people anymore. And because of that, we know we can all take care of ourselves. Can anyone argue?" I wait a few seconds, then continue when no one answers. "Then why is Dark Iris any different? She's one of us. She's going to stay one of us. Even if the government finds her, we know she won't say anything. We know she will fight. That's just going to be her way of waiting patiently."

Everyone is silent for a second, before Blood Harmony speaks up.

"Fading is right." All eyes go to her, but she just smiles. "I know Iris. I knew Autumn. She will do everything to keep us classified."

Ben hops up. "Let's go save her!"

I look at him. "Says the guy who was just attempting to kill me."