1

He tossed his cigarette to the ground, I finished mines and reluctantly did the same. I could tell it wasn't just our cigarette coming to an end, he wasn't holding my hand, he wasn't running his hand through my hair like he normally does.

"I love you bell, but they say when you love someone you know know when to let them go and I think this is it" His eyes never met mines like I hoped they would, instead they stayed focused on the sea in front of us.

"Oh" I say quietly as my heart sinks to my stomach.

"A year alone is a start, could be good for us both" A sigh escapes his mouth while he runs his hand through his long, perfectly scruffy hair. "A year, then we'll take it from there" The sadness in his voice made me think maybe he'll change his mind. Maybe he'll turn round and say we'll make it work because we love each other. Maybe he'll forget this ever happened and take me into his arms one more time before he goes.

But he didn't and he wouldn't.

"Phone me at anytime though, if there's anything you need" He said, standing up from the bench we were sat on that watched over the midnight sea.

His eyes looked down at me, over his shoulder one last time as I remained speechless. A small smile appeared on his face before he walked away back home, away from the bench we were sat on, away from the love we have, away from 2 years of memories, away from us.

TW: abuse, mental illness, eating disorders