CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

Will I live? That was her main thought just before…

She didn’t see the log in front of her at that moment and tripped over it.

Damn it! No!

Santana’s legs hurt like hell. Emotionally and physically her body was at its worst. She never had to face this type of situation before.

She smelled them, heard their footsteps getting closer. It was too late. The tears streamed down her face. Why her? Sobs escaped her throat sounding gurgled. 

What do I do?

The voice didn’t say anything. Why shut it now?

She crawled backwards as fast as she could to get behind a tree. The snow splashed in the air as she did this, getting in her eyes. She was so frightened. Her heart beat frantically, stomach burning from nerve-wracking cramps, and palms sweaty. She didn’t know she was panting loudly when the voice erupted inside her head:

Be quiet! They can’t see you because of the fog. Stay put for now.

*Who are you?* she asked in her head. 

The voice didn’t answer.

After what seemed to be five minutes of silence, Santana wondered what they were doing. She knew they were there. Their scent was for sure. Did they think she was that stupid enough to walk out of her hiding place just because it all stopped for a few minutes? She shook her head. Who are they?!

Paid killers; and not so professional either. They shoot horribly, but that’s good for us.

*Why would someone pay to kill me? I’m just a teenager!*

I don’t know. All I do know is that someone thinks you’re a threat that needs to be taken out.

*I don’t have any enemies though!*

I know you don’t. You’re too gentle with people. A complete submissive!

*Who are you?*

No answer.

*Oh come on!*

I’m part of you.

*So you’re like my conscience?*

Shh!! Shit!!

Suddenly a man wearing a long trench coat jumped out from the bushes. He had a gun in his hand and his expression was emotionless. He pointed it at her head from a few steps away. She backed away quickly, hitting another tree.

“Please don’t kill me! I’m just a young girl!” she screamed at him while sobbing uncontrollably. Her whole body was shaking.

“I love it when they all plead for their lives in the end,” shaking his head looking at the sky with a demonic smile on his face.

Screams off in the distance echoed throughout the forest.

The killer looked around him anxiously.

“Hey!” he yelled.

It was silent.

Santana saw fear in his eyes, smelled it.

Get the gun while he’s not looking! Now!!

Santana acted without hesitation, jumped on him while forcefully grabbing the gun. He fought her and won. Pointing the gun at her head…

She backed away slowly.

“Please…” she barely let out a whisper.

Closing her eyes she said a prayer in her head.

Bang!

A shot rang out, missing her.

The killer screamed.

It was so horrifying she fell while trying to run away.

What she saw…The wolf from yesterday was on top of him, ripping the man’s body apart while snarling and grunting. Blood gushing and splattering every where, blanketing the snow on the ground. It looked like a massacre. The wolf’s fur was soaked in the red liquid; now he was the killer. The snapping of the man’s body disgusted her even further.

She fainted.