Chapter 18 - If These Sheets Were States

I Am Still Painting Flowers For You. 

Chapter 18 - If These Sheets Were States

"Alex. Alex. Babe, get up." I whispered but Alex didn't budge. He'd been crying all night. He had a daughter somewhere out there and Lisa never told him. He was heartbroken. "Baby, please get up…" I said cuddling into his side. "Mmmm." He moaned. "Get up." I whispered kissing his cheek, very close to his lips. His eyes opened slightly, and he smiled at me. "Good morning." I said. "How long did I sleep for?" He asked me. "Almost a full day. You fell asleep at five pm yesterday, and now it's four pm." I said my eyes dropping. "Oh god, I'm so sorry." He said sitting up in bed. I sat my legs on either side of his hips and kissed him. "I'm going to see Lisa today." I said. "What?! Why!?" He said shocked. "I want to know about her daughter… Your, daughter." I said, looking anywhere but his eyes. "Please, don't go." He begged. "Alex, it's your baby. You should know." I said before grabbing a jacket and walking out. 

When I got to Lisa's apartment, I hesitated before knocking on the door. When I finally got the courage to knock, I did. In less than a minute, Lisa had opened the door. "Hi." I said giving her a small smile. "What are you doing here?! Alex will murder you!" Lisa said worriedly. "Don't worry, he knows. He wasn't exactly happy, but he knows." I said. "Can I come in?" I asked her. "Uh, yeah." She said ushering me inside the door. Her apartment was a mess. There were boxes everywhere, it looked like she was packing. "Going somewhere?" I asked her. "Uh, yeah, actually… I'm moving to Italy." She said wiping some of her stray tears away. "What?! Why?!" I asked her. She shrugged. "I don't feel like I belong in Baltimore anymore." She said before walking into her kitchen. "Would you like anything to drink or eat?" She asked politely. "Coffee would be fine." I said looking around her apartment again. After the coffee was made, she handed me a cup and sat down across from me at the table. "So… Why are you here?" She asked me. "I just wanted to come say hi." I said lying. "Please, you wouldn't come here unless you wanted to talk about something in particular." She said rolling her eyes. I tensed. "Fine, I want to know about you and Alex's… Kid." I said looking down into my coffee. "Oh, Christina." Lisa said getting up to put milk her in coffee. "Who's Christina?" I asked, slightly confused. "That's our daughter's name." She said her back towards me. "Oh." Was all I could get out. When she sat down at the table again, she looked up at me. "So, what else do you want to know?" She said. "Where is she?" I asked. "Why do you care so much?" She snapped. "I just want to know. She is Alex's daughter, he should have the right to see her." I said coming up with the best comeback I could think of. She sighed. "I honestly don't know." Lisa said. When I looked into her eyes I could see that she was telling the truth. "You have no idea?" I asked again. "Well… She could possibly be in… Ireland." Lisa said in a low voice. "Ireland?! How the hell did she get over there?!" I asked her. "The family that took her in was from there, okay! I don't know if she's still with them or not, but you could try there." She said. "What if she's not there? Me and Alex are just going to go to Ireland for the hell of it?" I told her. "It won't be for the hell of it! Ireland is beautiful, it'll be like the honeymoon you guys never had." She said. I thought it over, and realized she was right. "Fine." I said getting up from my chair. "What?" She asked slightly shocked. "Me and Alex will go to Ireland to try and find her. If she's not there, we'll keep looking. It's a start, I guess." I said shrugging. "Good luck." Lisa said sympathetically. "Thanks, Lisa.  Take care of yourself, okay?" I told her. She started crying. "Oh please don't cry." I said as she pulled me in for a hug. "I know we don't necessarily like each other, but thank you for going to find her. It means a lot to me." She said wiping her tears away. "It's not big deal, Lisa." I said smiling. "Tell Alex I said bye, okay?" She said smiling. "I will. He might want to come see you. When do you leave?" I asked. "Tomorrow morning." She sighed. I frowned and hugged her again. "Keep in touch." She nodded her head and I walked out the door and down the hallway. 

"Alex, I'm home!" I screamed threw the apartment. "Hey babe." He said kissing me. "How did it go?" He asked. "Good…" I said sitting down on the couch snuggling into the blankets as Halloween movies played on the TV. "It's almost Halloween." He said smiling. "It's actually thirty days away." I said laughing kissing him. "I'm getting excited for it already." He said jumping like a little kid on Christmas. "Me too." I said kissing him. "So, what did Lisa say?" He asked. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and started. "Well, she thinks that your daughter, Christina, might be in Ireland…" I said. "Ireland?! How did she get there?" He asked the same way I did. "She said the family that adopted her are from there." I fiddled with my hands in my lap. "Oh, and Lisa is moving to Italy tomorrow." I said in a whisper. "She's what?!" Alex said shocked. "She's moving to Italy. She said she doesn't belong in Baltimore or some shit like that." I shrugged. "I tried stopping her!" I said in defence. "I don't care, I'm just saying… She can't always run away from her problems." Alex said, clearly pissed off. "What do you mean?" I asked. "In high school, she would always run away from her problems." He sighed. "Like when we had a pregnancy scare…" He said quietly. "You what?!" I shouted. "Calm down, I was gonna tell you sooner or later.." He said sighing. "Alex, I'm your wife! You just don't get this stuff from me!" I said so angry I could slap him. "Please, just calm down and let me explain!" Alex begged. "No, Alex! I don't wanna hear your bullshit right now!" I said storming into our room and slamming the door behind me. I sat on our bed and closed my eyes. A few single tears escaped my eyes but I quickly wiped them away. As soon as I lay down and closed my eyes, I fell asleep. 

I woke up at around ten pm, and walked out into the living room. I saw Alex asleep on the couch. I smiled to myself and went over to sit with him. "Alex." I whispered in his ear and kissed his skull and cross bone tattoo gently. "Baby, get up." I whispered in his ear. "Mhm, Alice." He said in his sleep which made me giggle. I started playing with his hair and then cuddled into his chest. I turned so back was against his chest and then I fell asleep once again, but this time in my husband's arms.