Chapter Fifty-Four: Rome Wasn't Built In a Day

“She doesn’t deserve it.”

I looked at Jordan. “Why not?”

“I mean sure, what you did to Raymond was awesome. He deserved it.” Then he looked at Declan. “But does she really have to deserve this?”

“Yes, better now or never.”

Somehow Jordan and Bennett talked Raymond out of telling someone that I gave him a big fat bruise (Jordan’s words, not mine).  How they did it? I don’t really want to know, much less care. When they came back with Jordan fawning over my bruised up hand like some sort of trophy, Declan took them out of the office to have a talk. At first they were whispering, then there was muffled yelling. The yelling paused when Bennett poked his head inside the door to assure me that everything was fine, and then closed the door for the yelling to start again. Just when I was about to go check on them myself, they all went back inside the office. It ended up be two-to-one, Bennett went with Declan, while Jordan was against it.

Well, he still is.

“But deserve what exactly?” I asked them.

“Nothing, because you’re not getting anything,” Jordan told me before turning to them. “Can’t we get her something else? Like a pony?”

“A pony?” I repeated in disbelief. “What am I, six?”

“What do you want then?” Jordan asked me.

“A unicorn, or a pegasus, or both.” I thought about it then decided. “I want both.”

“So a unisus?” Bennett said in confusion.

“Or a pegacorn,” Declan offered.

“Well either one, Bennett could get it for you,” Jordan assured me in confidence.

We all looked at Bennett who shrugged. “I don’t know. You’re going to have to ask science for that one. Probably make a hybrid between a horse and a bird, then surgically adding a horn on its head. But that’s a bit… sick.”

I’m just surprised you’ll be into something so… girly,” Declan said honestly.

“And what’s wrong about being into something girly, aren’t I a girl?” I snapped. “Besides, why not have a unisus or a pegacorn? it’ll be awesome. And how can either one be girly?”

“Well here’s nothing girly about a horse, there’s nothing girly about a horn,” Bennett began. “But put them together, and you get a unicorn.”

“And then put on some wings and get an alicorn," Jordan finished. "Which is the real term you guys, get your facts straight.” 

"We're going to ignore that last part," Declan said before sighing. "But man, I really miss that show. It sucked when it ended.”

All of us started to hum the HIMYM theme song together.

“But back to the conversation,” Jordan said. “We can’t do it!”

“Yes we can!” Bennett and Declan said mockingly in unison as if they were in Bob the Builder.

“Um, yeah I think so,” I said, given it is two against one, three if you counted me.

“I’m serious,” Jordan said, his face looking as serious as his statement, which seemed really unnatural on him. “Are you guys actually willing to let her-“

“Jordan, I know you’re scared,” Bennett told him calmly. “But it won’t be like-“

Jordan narrowed his eyes at his friend. “I thought we promised never to say her name again.”