Chapter Thirteen: The Topic Was Never Brought Up

"Looks who's finally here," my mom sang cheerfully as she walked into the dining room first.

"Finally," I heard a familiar voice said.

Declan instantly growled at the sound, but I tugged his sleeve for him to keep quiet. He stopped, but his gaze hardened now. I walked into the dining room next, meeting Raymond's eyes first. He wore a blue varsity jacket over a white shirt with some band I don't recognize. He was slumping in his chair, having his long legs spread out, showing his black jeans that ended with some black converse.

He smirked, hanging an arm over the back of a chair. "I was starting to think you were never going to-" Raymond suddenly choked when he saw who walked in, nearly falling out of his seat.

My dad and Raymond's parents who were having a conversation paused. Curious of what got Raymond so choked up, they looked up to us.

I smiled, innocently. "Raymond, I think you know my friends. Bennett, Declan and Jordan."

None of them acknowledged Raymond's existence who stared at them with his mouth ajar.

"Raymond dear," Mrs. Meyers scolded. "Don't do that, it's quite rude to treat Naomi's friends like that."

He closed his mouth and his cheeks flushed. "Yes mother."

Declan snorted to himself, saying nothing. Jordan looked at me and mocked Raymond by mouthing, 'yes mother.' Bennett didn't do anything. He was just looking around the room, taking in his surroundings.

My dad got from his seat and cleared his throat. "Naomi's friends," he said, unsurely, "please, take a seat."

I looked at the table and instantly saw a problem. The dining room table can only fit for eight and there were nine of us. The table had three chairs on either length of the table, while there were chairs at the ends. My dad sat at one end of the table, since the host always sat at the end as a tradition we did. My mom sat at the right hand of my dad, Raymond was two chairs away from her. Raymond's dad was at my dad's left side with his wife to his left. But then I noticed that at one side of the table, my dad must have brought another chair for one of us to seat.

The guys looked up to me. I looked back at them. This was the only thing we didn't think of. We didn't think of who will sit where. Don't panic, I told myself and sat down right opposite of Raymond. I want to sit as far away from him as possible for once, unlike the many times we were forced to sit next to each other. Jordan sat between my mom and Raymond, probably wanting to give a good impression on my mom and put Raymond in check. Bennett sat at the end of the table, right across from my dad. And Declan sat at Bennett's right hand, next to me.

If no one got what I just said, which I'm pretty sure no one did, I'll put it more simply. There are nine chairs on a rectangular table. There is one chair at each end of the table, four on one side and three at the other. My dad sat at one end of the table while Bennett sat at the other end. At the four-chair side to the left of my dad, there were Raymond's dad, Raymond's mom, me then Declan. At the three-chair side, there was my mom, Jordan then Raymond.

Got it? Good.

Everyone awkwardly looked at one another. The parents looked at the guys, the guys looked at the parents and Raymond. Raymond was looking at the guys. I was looked at everyone. And my mom was just plain happy.

She clapped her hands together. "Let's get dinner started, shall we?"

Bennett cleared his throat and stood up from his seat. "Let me help you, Ms- I mean, Marisa."

"Isn't he such a gentleman?" My mom sighed. "Of course you can, sweetie, just follow me to the kitchen."

She got up from her seat and walked through the door towards the kitchen. Bennett silently got up from his seat and followed right behind her. In seconds, my mom came out the kitchen holding the main course of the duck with the sauce I told her to make. Bennett walked back into the room with trays of dishes on his arms. He looked like one of those professional waiters who could carry a bunch of tray at the same time with only two hands. On his right arm, he had the beef casserole, dinner rolls, and salad. At the other arm were a whole pile of the plates and eating utensils.