Chapter Fifty-Two: Not Another Lie

I stood there, cold and alone.

I gripped my yellow umbrella tightly as the wind tried to take it away from me. The umbrella was practically useless since I was already soaking wet from the walk here. I was wearing a black raincoat over a jacket along with jeans and boots. I felt that I was all armored up, that nothing could defeat this. But here I am, looking as if I just came from the pool fully clothed. And it was hard enough walking here with the winds fighting against me as if it were trying to pick me up of the ground. I could barely see in front of me with the pouring rain and the darkness despite it was still early in the morning. I’ve been standing here in the freezing rain, shivering with my hands numb and teeth chattering.

It was then I heard something coming up the road. I looked up from by umbrella to see the all too familiar yellow figure of a school bus. The bus screeched to a stop in front of me and the door opened up. The bus driver looked down at me with a stupid smirk, kids in the warm and dry bus looked out from the foggy windows with the same stupid smirks. I just stood there, staring at the open door that seemed to welcome me. But I knew the moment I took a step forward, the doors would shut in front of my face and the bus will drive off.

Too many times I gave it a chance, and I don’t mean the bus, I mean people entirely. Just too many times I thought if I could give them a chance, they might change. Ever since the guys came, I thought maybe people aren’t too bad.

I can’t believe I ever believed that.

I took a step back, shaking my head.

The kids booed, the driver rolled his eyes. There were too many words, too many nicknames, jokes and taunts. But I just set my umbrella over my head to cover my face, trying to shield their words away from me. I heard the doors shut and the bus driving away, that stupid bus song about me faded away as it drove farther away, the off-key singing drowned out in the rain.

Then I heard a car beep.

Once again I looked up from my umbrella, but this time I smiled. Maybe I didn’t give up on all people. I just didn’t give up on them.

“What?” Jordan asked as he stuck his head out the window from the front seat. “Do you like standing there in the rain?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I like the rain. No one can see me cry.”

He blinked. “Are you-“

I laughed. “No.”

Declan rolled down the back seat window and held out a tissue box. “It’s always here waiting for you.”

“I don’t think so, unlike you guys.”

Before he could say something back, I opened the door. I’ve always hated going into cars or buildings in the rain, it was always a struggle when having to close your umbrella and do your best not to get wet. But somehow I managed to not get as soaked as I am already and climbed into the car.

“You don’t mind getting the upholstery wet?” I asked Bennett in a joking voice.

“This is my rain car,” Bennett replied back, I guess not really getting the joke. “I don’t mind if it gets wet inside or out, not unlike my other cars.”

Jordan said what we all wanted to say. “Rich people,” he scoffed.

Bennett just rolled his eyes as he took a right turn. We arrived at school in a couple more minutes, faster than I expected, probably because Bennett took some shortcuts. When he parked the car in the parking lot, we all opened the doors to get out. Not wanting to stay out in the rain any long, we have to race out the parking lot for cover into the shelter of the school.