Chapter Forty-Three: But the Best Use Is Eating

"It's here. I can see it. It's staring at me."

My eyes narrowed at it, my fists clenching together. It was smirking at me, taunting me. It has guts, a lot of guts to show up here. It has guts just staying in the same room as me. How dare it be here, especially after what it done to me that night, ten chapters ago.

"My old enemy," I growled lowly, my eyes zooming right at it. "Fruit punch."

It was there, sitting on a table surrounded by a big display of chips, sodas and beer pegs. The fruit punch was held in a clear punch bowl, with stacks of red cups for anyone with a fruit punch craving. A spiked fruit punch craving.

"You shouldn't hold the grudge on the fruit punch. It didn't mean to."

I looked at him. "What are you defending it?"

He shrugged. "It's innocent. It's not its fault it got corrupted by the evil person who spiked it."

"But still..."

"Just ignore it," Parker told me. "This time you know it's spiked, and you won't make the same mistake again."

"Yeah, you're right."

Parker looked around the room. "I'm sorry that I have to bring you to another party. This is the last place I want to be."

"It's alright Parker."

"I promised them I'll show up at the party," he said as he looked around the room. I don't if he was looking for anyone, but I know it would be hard because of the dark room filled with flashing, blinding neon lights. "It will be only ten minutes and then we can go eat out, that good?"

I blinked. "Sorry, I heard eat and I just blanked out for a second."

His hand tightened around mine. "You're not leaving my side this one second."

I shook my head. "Tagging along while you go say hi to people, make a few jokes that I won't get, and hopefully turn down drinks, I'm good."

Parker frowned. "I'm not leaving you Naomi. That's out of the question."

I groaned in exasperation and said mockingly, "But dad..."

"No buts."

"Parker really, it's only ten minutes. I can't possibly do anything that bad in ten minutes."

"How long did it take you to get drunk with that fruit punch?" He asked me.

"Ten minutes," I admitted without missing a beat.

"Okay, how about this, I'll just stand here, in this secluded corner until you come back."

"We both know you won't stand here in this secluded corner until I come back." Before I could argue any further he continued, "Naomi, the more we argue, the more we're staying here. And I want to go eat somewhere already."

"Me too, but still..."

Parker leaned in close and whispered something in my ear. My eyes widened a bit, and I felt my cheeks turning warm.

"Now will you come with me?" He asked me.

I nodded.

He patted my head. "Good girl. Now let's go," he said as he pulled me through the crowd of dancing drunks.

A guy staggered a bit before continuing, "So then I told him-" He stopped when he saw him.

"Parker!" the whole group greeted in unison. He gave them some handshakes and half-hugs, the usual guy greetings.