Chapter Two: The Contract of Starbucks

Saturday.

It's the day of all days. The day after the excruciating five days of school, and before the day that will start all over those five days. On Saturday, I'm able to stay trapped in my room for the whole day. To be safe from the laughter, the insults, the bruises. I don't have to see anyone in school, even in the internet because I'm not stupid enough to make an account on things like Facebook or Twitter just for people to cyber bully me too. Even when I have to do projects with a partner over weekend because its mandatory, I end up doing everything by myself and my partner will get the credit. So even if my Saturday has something to do with school, it's not.

Until this Saturday.

I played the piece of paper in my hands. Fiddling with it between my fingers. Tempted to tear it to shreds. Yeah, I have no idea why I started to do these alliterations. I have no idea why I'm so worried, so threatened about this thing. It's only just a scrap of paper, probably taken from a the blank paper in the printers in class. With only a message scribbled on it, a one sentence message. Signed by the three different people in three different types of handwriting of none other than the Three Musketeers.

The Three Musketeers is a book written by Alexandre Dumas. Setting in Paris, France in the 1800s, it's about a guy called d'Artangan and his adventures with the Musketeers of the Guard: Athos, Porthos and Aramis. Ironically, the book isn't about the three musketeers, just the main character becoming one although he doesn't.

But I'm not talking about those three musketeers, I'm talking about the Three Musketeers. The title three baddest boys in Dartwell High: Bennett Frazier, Jordan Wallace, and Declan Lynch. They're all in senior year like me, but not always have been.

Just at the start of school last week, they just... appeared. No one knows where they came from or who they are. All we know is last year they weren't here, and this year they are. But what came with their sudden appearance was their reputation. No ones knows if its true, but the rumors traveled like wildfire. All three of them are in a gang. They have a criminal record, they're rich, they're on parole, dealt with drugs, used guns and knives. They've all have their own history, their own reputation but met each other and joined forces. These are only a handful of rumors I overheard when people are too busy gossiping than bullying me. But one thing is true, what came with their reputation was their titles, the Three Musketeers. One might not take their name seriously, obviously someone like me, but with the rumors spinning around them would change that person's mind.

But I never bothered to even glance them. I didn't care about the rumors I heard. For some reason, they didn't bully me like the rest of the school did. Maybe they didn't think I was even worth it. But as long as they don't bully me and pretend I don't exist, I do just the same.

But the question on my mind: What do the Three Musketeers want with Nerdy Naomi?

Yesterday, Friday, was the first time I met them in person. The first time I actually talked to them. I crashed into Bennett in the hall and told him off. Jordan became my partner in chemistry then ditched him after class. Then I teamed up with Declan in soccer, then told him to go away when he defended me. That's all I did, and I got this note in return. A note that tells me to meet with them in Starbucks at noon.

I slumped on my chair, looking at the ceiling. What should I do? Should I stay or should I go? I was silent for a moment, before I grabbed the stereo remote and pressed play. "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash started to play in the background.

So what was I thinking? Oh right.

Let me lay out the situation: Three bad boys want to meet up with the most unpopular, nerdy girl in school for a cup of coffee. Wow, that does not sound bad at all. I could be walking into a trap. They could be teaming up with Raymond and just waiting for me at Starbucks. They are at the top of the food chain, while I'm plankton. Why would they want to meet up someone like me, when I could just lower their status just standing next to them? So the safe thing to do is to not go. To be here in the safety of my home out of harm's way.