Chapter Forty-Seven: What's In a Name?

Halloween.

It's the day when we trying to scare the candy out of people, from horror nights to haunted mazes. It's the day when we get candy from strangers using the secret code: "trick or treat" (because if there's one thing I learned, when a stranger offers you candy, you say yes). And of course, wearing a costume that's candy worthy or that will give you a couple of wolf whistles. True people are revealed whether they wear something or not in Halloween. Of course, I don't have this choice, but the thought is still the same. I've got the costume that the guys ordered for me just yesterday. I didn't like it, but a deal's a deal. If they wear the costume I want them to wear, I'll do the same. And at least it's decent.

The guys told me to go ahead to the party, and Jordan's friend will meet me there. They told me that Parker is going to ride with them because they're going to give him his costume in person. I didn't like the sound of that, but I went with it. Parker was okay with going with the costume exchange, but hopefully they won't do anything to him.

Anything traumatizing I mean.

The party is all the way at the other side of the city. I don't know the reason why Jordan and maybe the other guys moved to a school all the way to the West side, but they did. It was a good thing my parents were going to a Halloween party with some work friends over at the East side of town, because I don't want them to go through much trouble. They dropped me off and drove off to the night singing 'yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum'. If you haven't guessed it, they're dressed up as pirates.

A vampire was waiting for me at the front of the house. He took a deep bow and smiled at me, flashing pearly white plastic vampire teeth.

"The name's Andre, Andre Haynes," he said, or well first tried to say. The plastic teeth made it a gargled mess, so he took it out and had to say it again.

"I'm Naomi-"

"Yeah, Dani's friend," Andre finished, and I held back a chuckle with Jordan's nickname.

"Sorry you had to meet up with me."

He shook his head. "Nah, it's alright. Dani and I go way back, so I'm happy to do a favor for him."

I smiled. "That's nice."

"Well, we should head inside now," he said before walking ahead, having me follow after him.

But when we were at the front door he stopped. There was a bouncer standing next to him. He turned back to me. "Sorry, but you're going to need to get searched," he said as he motioned to the bouncer who nodded to me. "No hard feelings or anything, everyone's gotta do it, even me."

In demonstration, he let the bouncer pats down the guy who hired. I don't know if the guy did this just to assure me that everyone has to do this, or just to make sure himself. Anyway, after that, it was my turn.

"Don't get handsy," Andre said jokingly.

He grunted but said nothing.

It was a quick pat down. The search was awkward for the both of us, and I think the bouncer wanted it to end as much as I did. Once that was done, the both of us went inside the house.

Andre cleared his throat. "Welcome to my party," he said, spreading an arm out to the party, "I call it, "Nightmare on Alvarado Street". Get it? 'Cause my house is on Alv-"

"I think I got it," I assured him, nodding. "It ruins the joke if you explain it."

He sighed, his shoulders sagging. "Yeah, I know."

I looked around the party and saw a noticeable difference. I could even feel the difference in the atmosphere. The last two, well, the only two parties I went to were chaotic, loud, and the air was filled with alcohol and smoke. I couldn't smell a whiff of any drugs, which I'm thankful for. I could see some alcohol here and there, but I spot an easy to see separate table filled with soda cans and bottled water for people not wanting to get drunk. The party was loud, but at a good volume. It's not too loud for the neighbors to complain or that we'll be able to hear ourselves think, and the people in the party are still able to have a good time. Which everyone is. Everyone looked like they were having a great time, maybe even having a better time than people in the parties I went to. Despite the slightly lower music, the absence of drugs, some non-alcoholic beverages, people still were having fun.