Chapter Thirty-Six: Ready to Die If This Doesn't Work?

I remember everything.

And when I mean everything, I don’t mean some flashes of what happened last night like some sort of flashback powerpoint. I mean everything. I remember everything down to the last detail. Drinking one too many fruit punch, being strangely good at beer pong, that almost kiss with Raymond, that other almost kiss with Parker, and then that successful kiss on the cheek with Parker.

Why does my life have to be like some sort of romantic-comedy?

The question on my mind though, besides the question of why there sand in my shoes, is why do I remember any of this? Aren’t you not supposed to remember the events after being totally wasted? And I know I was totally wasted because a) no one could possibly be that good in beer pong, b) I kissed Parker on the cheek, and c) my head feels like someone hit it with a hammer repeatedly. I would know, sort of, people have attempted to do that, thankfully it was one of those plastic balloon hammers you can buy in the park or beach along with other balloon animals and cotton candy.

The only thing that was supposed to happen after getting drunk off your ass last night that was right was getting a hangover in the morning. I opened my eyes and was nearly blinded by the light. Sunlight was pouring through my windows and into my room. I hissed at it like a cat, making claw motions to make it go away. I never knew drinking can make you into a vampire, I guess fruit punch has that effect on you. I slowly sat up from bed, blinking slowly for my eyes to adjust to the light. It was then I was met with a killer headache almost knocking me backwards on my bed.

“I’m willing to trade my memories of last night if I don’t have this hangover anymore!” I cried to the ceiling, waving my fist in the air. Immediately, I regretted yelling, wincing at the volume of my voice.

I groaned, closing my eyes as I massaged my head. I looked down at myself only to see that I was still wearing the clothes from last night. I must have been so tired I didn’t bother to even change to my PJ’s. I plopped backwards on my bed and hid inside the covers. I’ve watch enough movies and read enough books to know its best to sleep on a hangover and drink a lot of water. The water can wait, I don’t want to go downstairs and bump into my parents so they can see the town drunk Simpsons character, Barney Gumble, in real life. I’m just glad it’s a Saturday. Imagine if I have to go school like this? I wouldn’t be able to answer question one on my linear algebra test. Great, now I have to remind myself to study for it after I survive this hangover.

I let out a sigh and began to replay last night in my head. Going into the party, and then losing Parker. I drank a lot of fruit punch which turned out to be spiked (I should have seen that coming) then became drunker than I can possibly imagine in my teen-nerd life. I showed off some mad beer pong skills, and I still can’t believe how good I am at that, I never even played beer pong before. I got down at the dance floor and bumped into Declan who was with Hannah. Someone got jealous of my dance moves and pushed me out of the dance floor only so I can bump into Raymond. Drunk Raymond tried to kiss me so I wasted a good cup of fruit punch and ran away. Though, now that I think of it, it wasn’t really a waste of fruit punch. I went in search for the bathroom and found Parker instead, but chose the bathroom first. We got out of there and went to Valley Park. We swung on the swings, we almost kissed. We got on the monkey bars, we almost kissed. I went home and he got kissed, on the cheek though.

What really got me was the last sentence, when I kissed him on the cheek. Why did I kiss him on the cheek? Is the question I would ask if I was drunk properly and didn’t remember the events last night until someone told me I did that, which I doubt Parker would do. But I do remember, and I know why I did it. I did it because I was drunk and I thought I would never remember any of this. It was then the thought hit me.