Chapter Sixty-Eight: Who's Stopping You?

For New Years, we all decided to go to Andre’s annual New Year’s party.

We stood before Andre’s house where the New Year party is supposed to be. Only, it wasn’t like any party Andre is supposed to host. The music is ten times louder than should be, so loud that you can feel the vibrations in the air. Not only that, all of the neighboring houses down the street had their lights on. The people were probably calling the police to complain about the party. Then the worst thing was that the bouncers who are supposed to be there to check people in with the guest list since the party is only for friends of friends and search them weren’t there.

Without the bouncers, waves of kids were going into the house. Despite the deafening party music, you could hear yelling and whooping inside the house. There were also loud crashes, sounds of things breaking, making me jump in surprise.

Declan frowned. “What the…”

 “C’mon, we have to see what’s going on,” I told them, worried about Andre and the party.

The four of us rushed into the building, pushing past kids who also wanted to go into the party. We managed to stumble our way in to see the last thing we saw in a party like Andre’s. There was music blasting that rang my ears, neon lights blaring everywhere, booze were past around, broken furniture and windows. I looked up and saw one guy swinging on the chandelier that was daring to break off. It was then I saw one of the bouncers ran past us, then the other at the other direction.

Suddenly Andre stumbled in front of us, quickly got up and looked at the party. He had the same look as his bouncers: filled with fear, panic, confusion, frustration and anger. We heard a crash and he was about to run towards it when he suddenly skidded to a stop and whipped around to us. At first he looked angry, probably thinking we were uninvited guests like the other 90% of the people in the party, but his eyes flashed with recognition.

“I’m not saying it’s not great to see you guys,” Andre assured us with a rushed voice, glancing around, “but now is really not the best time.”

“What happened?” I asked. “This is not at all like your parties.”

Andre put his hands on his head, running it through his hair, but looking like he wanted to tear it out. “I don’t know, I don’t know,” he voice said in confusion. “The party started at eight. Everything was going fine for an hour when suddenly a huge army of kids burst through the door. I think some popular kid messed up the invitation of friends of friends. Instead he must’ve done it with friends of friends and the whole freaking world!” He exclaimed.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Jordan muttered.

“Now the rest of the night my bouncers and I have been trying to round up as many people and kick their drunk behinds out of here, but too many people stumble in here for their place. At the same time, we’re trying to stop fights and-“

Remember that kid who was swinging on the chandelier that hung on the ceiling? Yeah… that chandelier isn’t hanging on the ceiling anymore.

Andre looked like he wanted to scream, faint, or scream then faint. “My parents are going to kill me!”

“Where are they anyway?” Bennett asked.

“Out of town as usual,” he said. “They let me throw these parties, knowing I’ll be a good little host. When they come back though… let’s just say you can prepare a eulogy for my funeral.”

“I just still can’t believe how people could just walk past your bouncers in the first place,” I muttered.

He laughed. “They didn’t walk past them. They practically walked on top of them.” Andre suddenly grabbed one of his bouncers who almost ran right past him and dramatically points at him. “You can’t walk on top of him. He walks on top of you. I got these guys because they look like gorillas, you don’t just walk on top of gorillas.”