58. Believe in Love...💘

Mira stood still wondering if Vikranth had heard everything she said. She swallowed hard. If he had, then what would he think of her? Would he find her disrespectful towards elders? This was not the reputation she wanted to hold in his eyes, but his reaction was unexpected.

''What's up?'' he asked frowning at her.

Mira's face appeared guilty, ''Vikraan-'', she begin.

''Actually nevermind.'' he scratched his forehead then added, '' I guess you should have this back.'' he said handing over the videocam.

Mira sighed in relief when she realised that he didn't ask her about what had happened earlier. She smiled as she took the camera from him.

Just then, Mira and Vikranth heard the sound of a child crying. They looked across to find an infant about 1-2 years of age that fell off a plastic chair across the hall. Since everyone had left by now, the hall was mostly empty with only a few relatives and workers. Mira quickly ran towards the child and Vikranth followed. She picked her up. The child was wearing a red frock and a matching headband, and she had an adorable pixie haircut. Mira realised that she had seen the child on the reception night too, her face was too cute to simply forget.

''Awwww...it's okay.'' Mira cajoled the child while checking if she had hurt herself. The child was still crying. Just then a young woman walked over quickly looking concerned. She was the child's mother and took the child from Mira's arms and said,

''Thank you. I had just left her to get my bag. Thank you so much.'' she said to Mira. The child immediately stopped crying.

''It's okay. She fell, but I think she's fine now.'' Mira said smiling at the child who was now looking at Mira and Vikranth curiously.

The woman introduced herself to Mira and Vikranth. Her name was Kavitha and she was Preeti's second-cousin. Her baby's name was Tara. Mira begin to gently tap the little girls cheek, and she smiled.

''She's so adorable!'' Mira said glancing at Vikranth.

Just then, Vikranth's phone rang and he excused himself. 

Mira asked if she could take Tara in her arms and the woman smiled in agreement before handing her over. Tara was now in a good mood as she played with the bangles on Mira's hand.

''If you don't mind, can you hold her for a few minutes? I'll just go to the washroom and be back.'' Kavitha asked.

''Sure.'' Mira nodded and Kavitha left after thanking her.

***

Vikranth came back to find Mira sitting on a chair with Tara on her lap, playing with a little stuffed dog that her mother had given her. He smiled at the sight before walking over to her and said with a playful smirk,

''So you're babysitting now?''

Mira rolled her eyes and mumbled, ''Funny...''. She went back to playing with Tara who was now getting restless as she threw the stuffed toy on the floor.

Vikranth picked it up and held it in front of Tara, kneeling down.

''Here you go sweety.'' Tara took it, then dropped it again. The next moment, she broke into a wail, startling Vikranth.

''Ohh ohh ohh...it's okay Tara. '' Mira tried to calm her down, by standing up and walking back and forth.

''Where's her mom?'' Vikranth asked and she told her about Kavitha leaving for the restroom.

''Why is she crying?'' he asked restlessly.

''If I knew why, she wouldn't be crying now!'' Mira snapped.