24. New York🗽

They landed in New York a bit before midnight. As Mira entered the hotel with her colleagues, she couldn't ignore the rich fragrance, it made her feel excited about landing in New York. As they were a big group, the checking-in took longer than anticipated. Nonetheless, Mira was allotted a room with Sanya and Jyoti. Since it was already late, the girls changed and went to sleep.

Next morning, Mira was first to wake up, so she was ready by 8 am. Mira wore a white shirt with black-floral prints and black trousers, as well as a blazer. Soon Jyoti and Sanya woke up too. They were to meet for breakfast at 9:30, after which they would be taken to the Wipro Office in Mid-Town Manhattan. It was only when Mira got out of the van when they arrived the office building that Mira realised how cold New York was. The cold winds made it colder than Boston.

The staff at Wipro had organised a welcome presentation for the trainees, so the first day was packed with seminars, and net-working sessions during which Mira learnt so much in terms of the company's vision and long-term goals. There was also a session in which everyone was asked about their contribution to the company since they joined. Mira was initially nervous when it was her turn to talk, but eventually she became comfortable. What surprised Mira more was Kavin's absence, even Jyoti was relieved during lunch time as she had asked Mira,

''Oy, have you seen him yet? ''

''No...''

''It's weird right? I mean this is his office and he's nowhere to be seen..''

''Well, it's good. It would be nice to not see him much while I'm here anyway...''

''Yea...haha!''

***

On the second day, Mira and her team were told that they would present their campaign during the conference in the evening held in the same hotel in which they stayed. So, the whole afternoon in the hotel went by with final run-through and any final editing. Mira was in a meeting room when Ananth walked in with Hitesh,

''There you are Mira.'' Hitesh said.

''All okay?'' Mira asked.

''Yea..it's just Ananth wanted you to switch with him as he wanted to talk about the long-term proposal..if that's okay with you..''

''Oh...'' Mira frowned and said to Hitesh, ''Does that mean I would do the closing?''

''Yep. Are you fine with that Mira?'' Ananth asked.

''Umm..yea sure. I can do closing, but you're thorough with the long-term part right?'' she asked Ananth.

''Of course Mira, I already cleared my doubts with Hitesh..'' Ananth said.

Mira paused for a bit then said with a smile, ''Alright then, if you're confident, go for it!''

***

The conference started on time, and the hall was packed with senior board members and other major industrialist leaders. It was a few seconds before she went on to the stage to talk that she noticed him, Kavin was sitting in the second row talking to a board member. Giving a mental note to herself to not look in the direction where he was seated, and adjusting the collar of her blazer, Mira walked to the stage and summarised her team's strategy. When she walked on stage, Mira did not notice Kavin who turned towards her with an evil smile.

***

''Weren't you supposed to talk about the long-term plan?'' Jyoti nudged Mira when they lined up for the buffet.

''Yea, but Ananth switched with me a few hours before...''

''What? You shouldn't have let him...you saw how he rushed through it right? You would have done a better job...''