34. Christmas Party🎄

The weekend was really not going well for Mira as she became a victim of her own thoughts. To make matters worse, she vented out at her mom who called to remind her of the marriage proposal by Naren's parents. What bad timing....

''Are you in touch with Naren?'' Sudha asked.

''Maa...I am very busy here with work. I barely get time even on weekends...''

''Okok...but you have to make time Mira, to get to know him...''

Mira gave a heavy sigh and said, ''Amma, just tell Shankar uncle that I don't accept this proposal.''

''What-why Mira-''

''Because I don't want to get married okay?! I'm half-way across the world from home and I can't believe that you called to ask if I talk to Naren!''

''Mira don't yell at me. If not Naren, then I will ask your father to speak to his family so that we can start looking for another proposal...''

''Aiyo! God ma, you don't get it! I don't want to get married now! Why do you keep bothering me like this?! I am very busy making my career and please, don't bring this topic up for the next one year!'' Mira said with frustration

''What? One year? ''

Mira could hear her dad take the phone from her mother while she murmurred, ''Why is she being so stubborn like a child? If we don't, then who will make sure that she gets a good proposal?''

''Sudha, she's just stressed, you leave it, I will speak to her.'' A few seconds later her dad came on the line and said,

''Miru?'' Unlike her mother, Mira's father spoke to her in a calm and understanding manner which calmed Mira too.

Mira realised that maybe she had overreacted, she apologised to her parents and promised to call the following weekend.

***

As a new week at work started, Mira was occupied with the new campaign and as team leader, there was always work to do. On most days, she would reach home at only 8 p.m., exhausted, fix something for dinner and then just crash into bed.

The hectic routine was good for Mira as it meant that she didn't have much time to wander in her thoughts about Vikranth. But that didn't mean she didn't think about him at all...

One afternoon he had texted her when she was having lunch with Jyoti, asking her if she was free the following weekend to come watch him play another basketball game. She refused kindly with the excuse that she had some shopping to do, which wasn't completely a lie as she did have grocery shopping. His reply text was,

'It's cool, take care :)''

Ever since her revelation (thanks to Preeti), Mira made a mental note to avoid spending so much time with Vikranth, especially alone so that her feelings for him wouldn't develop any further. This seemed easy to follow as she could just give excuses of shopping, chores or even work.

Although it was easy to avoid meeting him, avoiding phone calls was quite a challenge. Mira was working with Jyoti and Sanya one evening when Vikranth called. She nearly tripped over her chair when she stood up in the meeting room to attend the call.

''Careful!'' Mira heard Jyoti say as she walked out.

''Hello Mira?'' he said with a husky tone.

''Hiii...Vikranth, how are you?''

''I'm alright. Listen, I'm leaving my office now and heading towards yours...thought I should check to see if you're still around and need a ride home''