4. Misunderstood

There are times when silence is good and peaceful. Then there are times when silence kills. For Mira and Vikranth, this was one of those times when the silence between them felt frustrating. There was so much to say, yet both of them didn't know how to begin.

''Ready to order Sir? Maam?'' the waiter asked thankfully breaking the painful silence between the two at the coffee shop across Mira's office.

''UHH Yeah, I'll have masala chai and...'' Mira trailed off looking at Vikranth to place his order.

''Just coffee for me thanks.'' Vikranth said.

''Sure Sir.'' the waiter said before heading back to the counter, leaving these two in silence again.

Mira was twitching with her hands. She could feel his constant gaze on her. She had imagined this situation in her head where he suddenly shows up before her and thought of all sorts of things to ask and tell him. Yet today, when she saw him, she had gone blank. It's like she had forgotten everything she thought she would tell him.

''So-'' , ''How-'' both of them began.

''You go first.'' Vikranth said smiling. 

That smile....Mira had missed it. She mentally slapped herself for swooning over him and asked quickly, ''So how come you're here?''

''I had actually come down to Chennai, you know to visit Mom and Dad...so I thought I should stop by......'' He wasn't lying, Vikranth had gone to Chennai before meeting Mira to tell his parents everything that had transpired between them over the last three years.

''Oh...how are uncle and aunty? And Sri? Has he come down too?''

''They're good. And no, Sri couldn't get off from work...so yeah it's just me.'' Vikranth shrugged.

A moment of silence passed before Vikranth asked, ''How are you Mira?''

Mira swallowed and said, ''Fine. I'm doing alright. You know, I joined a new company and I've been working here for 8 months now. '' 

''Ohh...that's great.''

Just then, everything came back to Mira. Their breakup in Chennai, Mira's emotional breakdown at work....it was all hitting her in waves. Yet, she tried to retain her cool. She couldn't help but wonder, Why was he here? 'More importantly, how did he know he would find her here?

The waiter arrived with the beverages and left just as swiftly after placing them on the table.

''Wait...how did you know I worked here?'' Mira finally asked.

Vikranth took a deep sigh and said, ''I asked Preethi. She told me you work here now...so I kinda knew you work here...''

''What? Why? Why would you do that?'' Mira asked in agitation.

''Because I wanted to see you Mira, even if you didn't want to...and I didn't come to India to visit my parents, I came to see you and- and apologise.'' Vikranth finally said.

Mira's heartbeat raced. Vikranth leaned in closer and looked into Mira's eyes.

''Mira...I'm sorry for being such a jerk to you. I know I should've realised this like over a year ago and I'm sorry it took me so long. But I see what I have done now, the mess I've created...it's all because of my stupidity and immaturity. I didn't realise that what I had was so precious until I...'' Vikranth paused and brushed his palm on his forehead before he continued.

''...until I lost it...and when it hit me, it was too late...'' he said softly.

Vikranth's confession had made Mira teary, but she was good at hiding it. She sighed and looked away before turning to him.