6. A Keeper

The rules were simple. Vikranth was given 6 overs, three each for bowling and batting. If Vikranth managed to make more runs than the girls in three overs, he would win the bet. To keep it fair, Mira would not play to avoid any biases. Of course, she would've played her level best to make Vikranth lose anyway. It was decided that the runs would only be made by hitting the ball and not otherwise, so fielding was not required. Vikranth decided to bowl first, with one of the girls batting each over. Seerat, Dhanushka and another girl called Nidhi would bat for the first three overs. These three girls had the best batting skills.

Seerat explained the boundaries for single, four and six runs. With that, the match was set to begin. Mira wanted to escape from the Sports complex, she couldn't watch the madness that was going to take place. She knew that the girls would not go easy on him, Mira just hoped that Vikranth wouldn't leave the complex feeling humiliated. She secretly prayed for it to rain so that the whole match would stop.

*******

It was all set. Vikranth stood ready to bowl with Dhanushka batting for the first over.

''Don't worry Mira, I'll go easy on him.'' Dhanushka said as she walked past Mira.

''No don't.'' Mira said.

Dhanushka turned to Mira and asked, ''What?''

''Don't go easy on him. He deserves this, so don't take pity on him.'' Mira said furiously.

''Uhh okay...'' Dhanushka shrugged and walked towards the ground.

Vikranth practised a bit of bowling but he looked nervous. One of the girls, Dincy decided to be an umpire as she signalled Vikranth to bowl when he was ready. Vikranth took a deep breath, glanced towards where Mira was sitting, and then gently ran forward with the ball in his hand.

He swung his hand forward and threw his first ball. Dhanushka swung her bat forward and hit it easily. Dincy signalled for 'four runs'. Dhanushka had hit for four runs, not a good start for Vikranth.

''Oh he's gonna lose badly...'' Seerat said sardonically.

The next two balls were no balls, giving Dhanushka two more runs without raising a finger. By the end of the over, Dhanushka had made fifteen runs easily.

''Oh hero, this isn't your thing, just admit defeat and come back.'' one of the girls said across the ground.

Vikranth just glanced at Mira and got ready to bowl the next over. The first ball was a single run, followed by a four in the second. When Vikranth bowled the third ball, Nidhi missed it and the ball just swung near the wicket.

''Nice one Vicky!'' Seerat yelled. Mira turned to Seerat who said to her, ''Not bad huh. he's learning the game well.''

Mira remained silent. Even Nidhi was impressed by Vikranth's bowling. But she renounced herself in the next two balls by hitting a six and a four, the final run count tallying to 30 runs.

Seerat stepped in the bat for the final over. She hit a six in the first ball. Vikranth was losing his confidence, but he remained calm and focused. The second ball proved to be a no ball, followed by the next which Seerat hit for four runs.

''Kya hua hero? Feeling nervous?'' Seerat asked Vikranth. He just smiled and got ready to bowl the next one. Vikranth paced himself and ran forward to bowl swiftly. The ball swung past Seerat's bat and hit through the left wicket easily for anyone to make out the shot.

Seerat stood staring at the wicket gobsmacked.

''Out!'' Dincy called out. But it wasn't needed, as everyone whose eyes were on the ground could tell it was out. Mira stood up. The girls around her were cheering.