10. Countdown Begins📅

''How did you do it?'' Mira asked Vikranth that night on Facetime. She was sitting on a wooden chair with cushions on the balcony. 

''What did you tell them?'' she asked surprised. Vikranth grinned and smirked at her.

''Well let's just say I was too charming for them to resist me as their son-in-law.''

Mira rolled her eyes.

Vikranth thought about his discussion with Mira's dad several hours ago. He was jittery with nerves.

*******

As soon as Ram appeared on the video call. Vikranth greeted him nervously.

'Ram said, 'Vikranth, son. I'm sure you are well aware of the recent events and the situation...'' he hesitated. ''I'm sure Mira must've told you everything.''

''Yes uncle. She did....Uncle, firstly I want to apologise for everything since I'm to be blamed for the situation Mira is in right now.'' Vikranth answered.

Ram studied Vikranth for a moment and said,'' See Vikranth. That's all in the past and Mira told us you have realised your mistakes and you regret them.'' Ram paused for a moment then said, '' Your parents are our closest friends and we've almost grown up together.'' Ram said chuckling. Vikranth smiled softly.

''So we've always held you and Srikanth in high regard but ever since Mira told us everything that happened between you two...'' Ram paused then said, ''I'm not so sure...we just want Mira to be happy and I can see you are a big part of her happiness but we also want it to last...I hope you understand what I'm saying son.''

Vikranth took a deep breath. He observed the lines on Ram's forehead as he talked. His eyebrows furrowed in care and concern for his daughter's future. Vikranth glanced down at his feet and finally spoke, ''Absolutely uncle. I totally understand your...concerns and reservations. After-after everything that I've done...it makes sense.''

''Uncle, Mira would always tell me how important her values and principles were to her, the values and principles that you had instilled in her. Three years ago when Mira and I met in Boston, we were just friends. I never -we both never intended our friendship to progress into something more...but it was after she left Boston that I realised that what the two of us shared was much more...''

''Uncle, Mira's always been headstrong and that's why she never compromised her values and principles for me even when I...'' Vikranth hesitated for a moment, ''...when I asked her to be in a relationship without the promise of marriage.'' 

''Mira blatantly refused and stood by her decision.''  Vikranth said.

''Uncle, I've realised the importance of marriage and companionship in the last three years as I became a prisoner in isolation. Even though we weren't in touch for the last two years, I learnt the real value of marriage because of Mira. Her strong sense of rootedness in our culture made me self-assess myself, and the kind of person that I had become. '' Vikranth ran his hands through his hair.

A moment of silence followed. Vikranth noticed that Ram was listening intently. 

''Uncle, Mira's had the most positive influence in my life which made me realise that I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm not sure if I deserve her but in the last three years if there's anything I realised, then it's that I've gotten a taste of living my life without Mira around me.''

Vikranth noticed Ram was silent. The concern was still prevalent on his face.

''Uncle. Mira and I respect your decision and hold them in high regard. So....in case we do not have your consent, then I will just consider it my misfortune and not bother Mira or your family with this matter again.'' Vikranth paused then said finally, ''But if you do give consent to our marriage, then I can assure you that I will value our relationship more than anything else in my life because I now know how much she means to me..''