3. When Love hits you...💔

Boston - 12 months ago

Hey Mira, how are you?

Can we call when you're free? I'd like to talk.

After sending those texts, Vikranth let out a heavy sigh. People say that you don't realise the value of something or someone in your life until you completely lose it. What happened in Chennai 18 months back would constantly replay in Vikranth's head since he got back to Boston. He tried reaching out to Mira and even Preethi several times, only to be rejected. He would replay the situation in his head several times and think that perhaps if he hadn't said the things he did that day or said them differently, the situation wouldn't have ended so badly. Even Srikanth was mad at his brother for what he had done to Mira. Srikanth was the younger one but once he learnt what had happened, he was really disappointed in Vikranth and even considered telling their parents everything, but Vikranth convinced him to not make things worse.

''It's just not cool Vicks, Mira deserves better.'' Srikanth had said once. Maybe Sri was right.

After coming back to Boston, Vikranth became quieter than usual. His social life was reduced while he turned into a workaholic. With the pandemic, work from home became the norm but he didn't like it one bit. Being home meant being alone, which inevitably led to thoughts of Mira. He felt guilty, bad and worried about what he had done to her. One day, he couldn't resist and rang up Preethi.

''Just forget about it Vikranth, it's over.'' Preethi snapped.

''But I just want to apologise-'' Vikranth began.

''There's no point, Mira is not in a space to listen to you, she's already trying to move on. It's better if you do too. And please, don't try texting or calling her again. You had a chance, a chance with the best girl I know, and you wrecked it yourself...now leave the poor girl alone!''

With that, Preethi hung up. Preethi's words would ring in Vikranth's head for several nights. Had he really ruined the one chance he had with her? He still wasn't sure how much damage had been done.

The only person that knew about what had happened in Chennai was Sam who sympathised with him.

''Vicky, I know it hurts and it must feel awful but maybe this is how it should've turned out. When two people want different things, it just doesn't work.''

Sam was practical and rational, Vikranth knew she was right but the way things had ended between him and Mira felt painful because not only had he lost someone so dear to him, but he had also lost a friend, a friend like no other.

********

6 months ago

One Sunday afternoon, Vikranth was out in the park with Guava. He had somewhat moved on from the Chennai incident as he was now getting fewer recurring thoughts of Mira. In fact, the only way he had achieved this was through being a workaholic on weekdays and spending weekends playing basketball. This was the first time he had come out to the park in months. He would always ask Sam to take Guava out on walks but today he felt like stepping out and doing so himself. For some reason, he dreaded being alone as the thoughts would recur and the guilt would kick in again.

Guava was running around the grass areas and was in a playful mood. He stretched his front legs out in front and was leaning down on his elbows, ready to go chase the ball that Vikranth was going to throw. After some time Vikranth decided to sit down on one of the benches while Guava followed suit and settled on the grass near the bench. Vikranth was giving Guava a good rub on his head when he heard his name being called out.

''Vikranth!''

He looked up to find Darshan, his colleague from work walking towards him. Vikranth stood up to greet him.